Convict cichlids spawned!

Sprinkle

Member
Hi, right now when I came to see my fish, all I saw is EGGS! I really don't know how I bred them. Signs are positive at the moment, the pair is guarding the nest, chasing away sometimes their tank mates (very often as my other fish keep their distance), the eggs must have been there for some time and the eggs aren't eaten!
Any other help to raise the eggs and wigglers?


77BBC16E-F422-435B-B2A9-B827426D7DFB.jpeg

FB3D5B6A-6E01-4032-88FF-02F0BDEC7421.jpeg
 

Bansmo

Member
They are beautiful. Congratulations!!
 
  • Thread Starter

Sprinkle

Member
Bansmo said:
They are beautiful. Congratulations!!
Thank you! I'm really hoping that my beauties will raise wigglers.
Any tips on helping them? I'm really keen on hatching them.
 

Trenzalore

Member
Keep the parents in with them until they hatch and are free swimming. The parents keep water properly circulating over the eggs for aeration and cleanliness, and they'll remove dead eggs. Some parents will eat the fry, and some won't. If when they hatch you notice the parents are making snacks of their young, then it's time for the move. You have a lot of fry to look forward to, congratulations!
 
  • Thread Starter

Sprinkle

Member
Trenzalore said:
Keep the parents in with them until they hatch and are free swimming. The parents keep water properly circulating over the eggs for aeration and cleanliness, and they'll remove dead eggs. Some parents will eat the fry, and some won't. If when they hatch you notice the parents are making snacks of their young, then it's time for the move. You have a lot of fry to look forward to, congratulations!
Thank you, I will move parents when I'll see the parents making snacks out of their young. Thank you again.
 
  • Thread Starter

Sprinkle

Member
How long the eggs will be hatching?
 

Trenzalore

Member
These are pink convict cichlids right? If they are, then it could honestly take just 2-3 days to hatch.
 

TWiG87

Member
Very cool, convicts are pretty prolific breeders. I hope you get some fry!
 
  • Thread Starter

Sprinkle

Member
Trenzalore said:
These are pink convict cichlids right? If they are, then it could honestly take just 2-3 days to hatch.
TWiG87 said:
Very cool, convicts are pretty prolific breeders. I hope you get some fry!
Thanks guys. These are my very first eggs so I'm quite excited!
 
  • Thread Starter

Sprinkle

Member
Update:

I did a little water change and added Prime, while doing water change I added the new plants I got from my lfs.
When I was adding one of them, my hand was quite near the nesting ground and the female felt afraid that I'm gonna do something to her eggs (she a good mommy), so she attacked me, and I thought 'cute!'. The bite wasn't strong, it was more of a nibble

That's the new, current set up :

Front:

image.jpg


Side:


image.jpg
 

Debbie1986

Member
Very pretty fish! good luck with your babies!
 
  • Thread Starter

Sprinkle

Member
Debbie1986 said:
Very pretty fish! good luck with your babies!
Thank you! I'm really hoping that some wigglers will make it. That was the best birthday present from my own fish!
 
  • Thread Starter

Sprinkle

Member
Egg Update:

Most of eggs got fungus, so they were eaten by the mother.
Still, some eggs are in perfect condition.
I'm really hoping that some will make it.
 

StarGirl

Member
My GBR have eaten the eggs 3 times now. I have barely gotten wigglers.
 
  • Thread Starter

Sprinkle

Member
You could always do artificial hatching.
StarGirl15 said:
My GBR have eaten the eggs 3 times now. I have barely gotten wigglers.
Yea, hopefully mine will get some wigglers. This batch is their first.
 

KribensisLover1

Member

451386EA-C294-44E8-9342-393237CE90C9.jpeg

3456FF4A-C998-450E-934F-2BEE67E671E2.jpeg

9216ADA7-3587-458E-BD16-7B438627CACB.jpeg

280D0B84-715A-4C70-9A3D-F80E3D2B6970.jpeg
My baby fish journey
Beginning of January
Beginning of feb
Yesterday

Good luck!
 
  • Thread Starter

Sprinkle

Member
SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart said:

451386EA-C294-44E8-9342-393237CE90C9.jpeg

3456FF4A-C998-450E-934F-2BEE67E671E2.jpeg

9216ADA7-3587-458E-BD16-7B438627CACB.jpeg

280D0B84-715A-4C70-9A3D-F80E3D2B6970.jpeg
My baby fish journey
Beginning of January
Beginning of feb
Yesterday

Good luck!
Thank you for sharing your journey! What do you think, why my eggs got fungus? Some got fungus yesterday, most of eggs had fungus throughout the night?
 

Littlebudda

Member
May not have been fertilised also first time parents just learning their way around. My oscars ate the first 2 batches of eggs and then on the third attempt they ate the wrigglers, haven’t been able to get them to breed again.
 
  • Thread Starter

Sprinkle

Member
Littlebudda said:
May not have been fertilised also first time parents just learning their way around. My oscars ate the first 2 batches of eggs and then on the third attempt they ate the wrigglers, haven’t been able to get them to breed again.
The eggs may be not fertilized, though, I'm not sure of it, so we'll see. Hopefully they will lay eggs again.
 

KribensisLover1

Member
Sprinkle said:
Thank you for sharing your journey! What do you think, why my eggs got fungus? Some got fungus yesterday, most of eggs had fungus throughout the night?
I don’t know about the fungus. I can say this—Apparently it’s rare for the first spawn to work. My story is basically luck. The fry were tiny (about a week or two old) and I had to move both father and mother and 7 fry to a different tank due to parent aggression toward tankmates. Luckily no babies were harmed or eaten by their parents in the move, yet I couldn’t change the water right away & there were still Molly babies in the new tank (the bathroom was being renovated and so no water could be used). Then the mother died with no visible reason (if it was water related the babies would have died first as they were tiny) and no signs of damage (didn’t seem that the father attacked and her color was perfect). Then the next water change my changer (python) flooded my room so I stuck it in the tank and forgot prime for 30 min. I also had three babies get sucked into the filter but they lived. Then the father passed for no obvious reason and again had it been the water the babies would have passed first. This is all within the first 3 weeks of their lives.

Since then it has been super stable (knock on wood). Perhaps some of your eggs will be fertilized (the remaining eggs though not sure if that’s possible) and spawn bc I know a ton are laid and I only had 7 babies. Actually in the first pic where I magnified the babies they still show as 7. I went away from 12/28–1/4 and they were there swimming 2 days after I returned. So I count their ages with one week in between. They could have been alive longer as they take time to free swim. Sorry that was so long, yet you see how lucky I got! And it was the first time spawning. The other female I had killed the male with her so it was my only chance and up to now it’s worked! They are between 10–11 weeks! But are all your eggs gone?
 

Littlebudda

Member
There convicts they will spawn again. Convicts are one of those just add water and they multiply fish. I’ve had mine together for less than a week and they have spawned
 

KribensisLover1

Member
That’s true. Eventually you will hope they will not spawn.
 
  • Thread Starter

Sprinkle

Member
SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart said:
I don’t know about the fungus. I can say this—Apparently it’s rare for the first spawn to work. My story is basically luck. The fry were tiny (about a week or two old) and I had to move both father and mother and 7 fry to a different tank due to parent aggression toward tankmates. Luckily no babies were harmed or eaten by their parents in the move, yet I couldn’t change the water right away & there were still Molly babies in the new tank (the bathroom was being renovated and so no water could be used). Then the mother died with no visible reason (if it was water related the babies would have died first as they were tiny) and no signs of damage (didn’t seem that the father attacked and her color was perfect). Then the next water change my changer (python) flooded my room so I stuck it in the tank and forgot prime for 30 min. I also had three babies get sucked into the filter but they lived. Then the father passed for no obvious reason and again had it been the water the babies would have passed first. This is all within the first 3 weeks of their lives.

Since then it has been super stable (knock on wood). Perhaps some of your eggs will be fertilized (the remaining eggs though not sure if that’s possible) and spawn bc I know a ton are laid and I only had 7 babies. Actually in the first pic where I magnified the babies they still show as 7. I went away from 12/28–1/4 and they were there swimming 2 days after I returned. So I count their ages with one week in between. They could have been alive longer as they take time to free swim. Sorry that was so long, yet you see how lucky I got! And it was the first time spawning. The other female I had killed the male with her so it was my only chance and up to now it’s worked! They are between 10–11 weeks! But are all your eggs gone?
Wow, you've been very lucky there. No, not all of my eggs are gone.
 

StarGirl

Member
My GBR are cleaning their rock today and their tubes are out. I think she will probably lay today sometime.
 
  • Thread Starter

Sprinkle

Member
StarGirl15 said:
My GBR are cleaning their rock today and their tubes are out. I think she will probably lay today sometime.
My female's tube is still sticking out. Is that normal or..?
 

KribensisLover1

Member
Sprinkle said:
Wow, you've been very lucky there. No, not all of my eggs are gone.
Wait perhaps there’s hope?!!
 

StarGirl

Member
Sprinkle said:
My female's tube is still sticking out. Is that normal or..?
I think so.
 
  • Thread Starter

Sprinkle

Member

jake37

Member
Aren't pink convict one of those fishes that will actually raise the youngs well beyond the wriggler stage ? My gbr have no chance and they know it. They will probably spawn again this week but the environment isn't favorable for them to hatch. I'm ok with it as long as they are ok. At least this couple don't bother beating each others up between lays. I keep wondering if it is time to move that angel back to her tank. She is so peaceful with the rams which beats the angel-war she was part of in the other tank (she laid eggs and the other female ate them but the male instead of defending her or the eggs defended the female egg eater which she did not appreciate...).
 
  • Thread Starter

Sprinkle

Member
jake37 said:
Aren't pink convict one of those fishes that will actually raise the youngs well beyond the wriggler stage ? My gbr have no chance and they know it. They will probably spawn again this week but the environment isn't favorable for them to hatch. I'm ok with it as long as they are ok. At least this couple don't bother beating each others up between lays. I keep wondering if it is time to move that angel back to her tank. She is so peaceful with the rams which beats the angel-war she was part of in the other tank (she laid eggs and the other female at them but the male instead of defending her or the eggs defended the female egg eater which she did not appreciate...).
I really don't know if convicts will raise their youngsters beyond the wriggler stage. I just started keeping them, and did completely nothing to breed them.
 

Littlebudda

Member
Convicts are one of the best parents in the SA cichlid world my male has been taking on 2 oscars who’s mouths he could probably fit into if they wanted. Years ago I had a 75gal with a full grown Oscar and a pair of convicts the Oscar was too stupid to know what’s good for him and wouldn’t leave the fry alone I had to move him for his safety as he got beat up so bad by a fish that was 5x smaller than him
 

KribensisLover1

Member
My Kribensis are the best parents. That is the fun part! It’s incredible. See above (last post). Even my the father was dying and on his side he came and attacked the python on his last breath and then herded the babies away. Talk about a tearjerker. It was beautiful
 

Littlebudda

Member
I did state SA Cichlid not African, Africans are a different thing you have mouthbrooders and things like princess cichlids which form a family group where previous babies grow out to help protect the new fry.
But as far as SA cichlids you don’t get much better than convicts for parents.
 

jake37

Member
Why did the python kill the fish ?

SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart said:
My Kribensis are the best parents. That is the fun part! It’s incredible. See above (last post). Even my the father was dying and on his side he came and attacked the python on his last breath and then herded the babies away. Talk about a tearjerker. It was beautiful
 

StarGirl

Member
Haha my rams laid eggs tonight! Knew they were gonna!
 
  • Thread Starter

Sprinkle

Member
StarGirl15 said:
Haha my rams laid eggs tonight! Knew they were gonna!
Congratulations! I'm hoping this batch this time. Parents learn new things each batch
 
  • Thread Starter

Sprinkle

Member
Update:

No eggies. Them all got fungus and were eaten. Hopefully more next time?
 

Bansmo

Member
Sprinkle said:
Update:

No eggies. Them all got fungus and were eaten. Hopefully more next time?
Awwww don’t be disheartened. I had similar issues with my angelfish. 5 egg drops later, only 1 survived and I’m treating him/her like gold.
 
  • Thread Starter

Sprinkle

Member
Bansmo said:
Awwww don’t be disheartened. I had similar issues with my angelfish. 5 egg drops later, only 1 survived and I’m treating him/her like gold.
I think next time will be more luck then
 

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom