Convict Cichlid With Half-black Face

1. Biev

Biev Member Member

It's so weird! I have a male convict whose face just turned completely black overnight, but only on the right side. Even his eye is almost black! The rest of his body still looks normal, it's just this one section... I've never seen this before. I mean sometimes their faces get a bit darker than the rest of their bodies when they're under stress, but this is extreme! Does anyone have experience with this? Do I have an extremely quirky fish, or can this be a symptom for something?
    IMG_7679.jpg IMG_7681.jpg IMG_7683.jpg IMG_7688.jpg

Background details:
    • Male-only, species-only tank
    • 40 gallon, ~10 males, ~4" average (this is our holding tank for small males), no agression noticed
    • Treated for columnaris last month (water still appears a bit yellow despite numerous water changes); all symptoms cleared
    • NH3 = 0, NO3- = 60, NO2- = 0, GH: 180+, KH: 89.5, pH 7.2, temp: 25.6
    • No recent changes

2. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

That's a first for me too. I bred them for about ten years and the only thing I ever noticed was they would fade when they got overcrowded.

3. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

I've seen it many times, on multiple species of fish. It is some sort of nerve damage, which is why it only occurs on one side. Sometimes it goes away, sometimes the fish stays like that and lives a normal life, and occasionally the fish dies early.

4. OP
    OP
    Biev

Biev Member Member

Thank you! That makes perfect sense.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted