Convict Cichlid Water Changes

Scott Lehmann

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Currently don't have any yet but just trying to get all the info I can first. When I get my convicts how often should I do a water change and how much in a 75 gallon tank with a 250 gallon FX4 canister filter? Also what is the best feeding schedule for them daily twice a day? And how often should I feed them live/frozen foods

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Typically best practice is 25-50% weekly depending on how many are in the tank.

Scott Lehmann

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Looking to get 3 males putting plenty of decor and places to hide. But how often should I feed them and how many times a week should they be offered frozen things like blood worms and brine shrimp. And how often should they be givin live foods?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I fed mine twice a day with a good quality food and treats one or twice a week. I dont think i ever gave them live food other than a work here and there that we found when moving things.

Scott Lehmann

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay thanks yea I couldn't find much about live things for convicts the only thing I read was live shrimp and I wouldn't think they would eat feeder fish . But majority of the things I read said just use frozen

Mike1995

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
convicts will eat just about anything that hits the water. I had a 6" male with a 3" female at one time. They would eat pellets, flakes, worms, pill bugs, crickets, frozen stuff, bugs of any kind, thier own eggs, blood worms etc etc. Feeder fish are a terrible diet so its good they cant eat those.

Scott Lehmann

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Most of those should be easy to do I already have a pretty good variety of foods I have frozen blood worms brine shrimp krill and protein waffers I still need to get cichlid food what would be the best tetracichlid? And how often would you feed those foods to them?

Mike1995

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Scott Lehmann said:
Most of those should be easy to do I already have a pretty good variety of foods I have frozen blood worms brine shrimp krill and protein waffers I still need to get cichlid food what would be the best tetracichlid? And how often would you feed those foods to them?
personally i stay away from tetra foods. omega one pellets and new life spectrum pellets are normally what i use for my cichlids. omega one also has a lot of different options for blood worms, shrimp, krill etc etc. I found these foods bring a lot of nice color in the fish and cause very positive growth in the fins, body etc. I feed pellets 5 or 6 days a week, once a day. And just maybe two of the days I'll throw in something like the shrimp.or something.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom