Convict Cichlid Water Changes

Scott Lehmann

Currently don't have any yet but just trying to get all the info I can first. When I get my convicts how often should I do a water change and how much in a 75 gallon tank with a 250 gallon FX4 canister filter? Also what is the best feeding schedule for them daily twice a day? And how often should I feed them live/frozen foods

david1978

Typically best practice is 25-50% weekly depending on how many are in the tank.

Scott Lehmann

Looking to get 3 males putting plenty of decor and places to hide. But how often should I feed them and how many times a week should they be offered frozen things like blood worms and brine shrimp. And how often should they be givin live foods?

david1978

I fed mine twice a day with a good quality food and treats one or twice a week. I don't think I ever gave them live food other than a work here and there that we found when moving things.

Scott Lehmann

Okay thanks yea I couldn't find much about live things for convicts the only thing I read was live shrimp and I wouldn't think they would eat feeder fish . But majority of the things I read said just use frozen

Mike1995

convicts will eat just about anything that hits the water. I had a 6" male with a 3" female at one time. They would eat pellets, flakes, worms, pill bugs, crickets, frozen stuff, bugs of any kind, their own eggs, blood worms etc etc. Feeder fish are a terrible diet so its good they can't eat those.

Scott Lehmann

Most of those should be easy to do I already have a pretty good variety of foods I have frozen blood worms brine shrimp krill and protein waffers I still need to get cichlid food what would be the best tetracichlid? And how often would you feed those foods to them?

Mike1995

Scott Lehmann said:
Most of those should be easy to do I already have a pretty good variety of foods I have frozen blood worms brine shrimp krill and protein waffers I still need to get cichlid food what would be the best tetracichlid? And how often would you feed those foods to them?
personally I stay away from tetra foods. omega one pellets and new life spectrum pellets are normally what I use for my cichlids. omega one also has a lot of different options for blood worms, shrimp, krill etc etc. I found these foods bring a lot of nice color in the fish and cause very positive growth in the fins, body etc. I feed pellets 5 or 6 days a week, once a day. And just maybe two of the days I'll throw in something like the shrimp.or something.

Latest threads

Top Bottom