Convict cichlid tank 40 gallon tall?

FishGuy101
Hey everybody
I have a 40 gallon tall aquarium deminsions: hight 24in length 30in with 12in and I was hoping I could put some pink convicts in. I have a bio wheel 350 hob filter, blacksand, a black painted on background and some driftwood I found at a lake the tank is not yet cycled but I'm working on that so my question is could I add a few pink convicts without aggression and have them live ther happily

Mark1312a
How did you prep that driftwood before putting in tank? Convicts are very into eating and
mating. It depends on your mix of males and females. Kind of a coin toss. Like the idea of blacked out with pink, should look good. M

FishGuy101
Well I got the drift wood from this stream that flows through my step dads propertt during the winter I heated water on the stove and boiled them to kill bacteria and then I scrobed them really good and what male to female ration would I need and how could I keep them from breading ? thanks for you're help by the way

Graphix
lol to keep them from breeding I would say only one gender. As a generalization I would assume only females as they won't be as territorial but I could be wrong.

harpua2002
I had a female kill another female in a 75 gallon with other cichlids. The females are nasty too. ;-)

GuineaPigster
A 40 gallon tall is not providing the surface area of a 40 breeder or normal 40.
I personally wouldn't risk such aggressive, territorial fish in a 40 gallon tall.

Graphix
But less so in some cases, what do you suggest for this setup?

harpua2002
People breed cons in 20 longs or 29s all the time. I'd bet that a pair would actually be easier to keep than 2 of the same sex, but idk because I never wanted to deal with fry. Many lfs won't even take them for free.

Graphix
That's true, why don't you want a pair? I'm guessing it's the same reason as harpua... How about another species for the 40 breeder?

FishGuy101
Lol but if I buy them smaller they can learn to socalize with other fish rather than being agressive

Graphix
That doesn't work, more of a myth. As soon as they're big enough their instinct will take over, you can't trust that they'll learn.

FishGuy101
40 breeder? mine is a 40 tall

Well what other colurful fish could I add

Graphix
harpua2002
Lol but if I buy them smaller they can learn to socalize with other fish rather than being agressive

Don't bet on it. My females were barely over 2" when I ended up with one.

FishGuy101
That sucks I was really hoping to get some what colorful fish would my tank be suitable for

FishGuy101
How many german rams can I add ?

FishGuy101
A male fire mouth ? And thatd be awsome the last covict I had would eat any dither I tried to add except tiger barbs and my local doesent have thos fancy tetras all I have are neons and jumbo neons

harpua2002
If you attempted to keep neons with a convict, that's probably why. They are really not compatible IMO. You'll need larger, tougher tetras if you want to make that work. Tiger barbs are a good idea if your tank is long enough, as they are very active.

Come to think of it, what are the dimensions of your tank?

FishGuy101
Did I not post it sorry 30 in long 24in tall 12 in wide and I didn't try neons I ised minnows and some other cheap fish

harpua2002
Ok.. if you want dithers, probably hold out until you find something tough like those big tetras. Tiger barbs would work but that would be really pushing it for a 30" tank.

ricmcc
I really like giant danios as dither fish as nothing can seem to catch them (well, non of my mbuna, anyway), and great fish in their own right, but as above, I believe 30" would be a tad short---I would likely go with dwarf cichlids if I was stocking a tank of your dimensions--they can be very rewading, I find.-----rick

FishGuy101
What about jumbo neon tetras and would the fire mouth and pink convict work if so which vould I add firsy

ricmcc
Jumbo neons would be expensive fish food----rick

If you really like convicts, you could try overstocking them, and forego much of your decor, so that no fish becomes too dominate, finding it difficult to establish territory. The downside (minor, IMO) is lots of water changes and maybe filtering with Purigen for water management, the other downside(major, IMO) is that your tank will look just like the one at the Pet Shop.----rick

harpua2002
I agree with both of ricmcc's prior posts!

The third one, probably not. overstocking tends to work for African Mbuna, but typically leads to a bloodbath with central americans. They just don't speak the same "language", if that makes sense.

FishGuy101
Thank you rimic but I don't think I'd be up for that I like the firemout and convict idea tho

ricmcc
They just don't hablaI Malawi, I guess

FishGuy101
What ?

harpua2002
They just don't hablaI Malawi, I guess

LOL and my description makes little sense, I'm sure, but it makes sense in my head and you guys don't have to live there, so...

ricmcc
Thank you rimic but I don't think I'd be up for that I like the firemout and convict idea tho

Well, might work, but to be on the safe side, I'd keep my St. John Ambulance Card current----rick

FishGuy101
Wold the male fire mouth and femal pink convict work or not lol xD

Ughhh why can't all fish be peacfull

ricmcc
LOL and my description makes little sense, I'm sure, but it makes sense in my head and you guys don't have to live there, so...

Actually, it does make sense, I read a lot of Ad Koning, and he refers to behaviours differing almost like regional dialects (if that makes sense)--And I'm sure the inside of your head is a quite fine place to inhabit

FishGuy101
So rams and what else

harpua2002
Actually, it does make sense, I read a lot of Ad Koning, and he refers to behaviours differing almost like regional dialects (if that makes sense)--And I'm sure the inside of your head is a quite fine place to inhabit

He was a speaker at one of our local club meetings last year, and the topic was Tanganyikan fish. First he fried my brain with tons of info, then he autographed my book! <<<< NERD!

Inside of my head is weird at best. lol

FishGuy101
Soooooo ummmmm

Graphix
hehe the owner of Finatics knows Ad Konings, apparently he actually works there on certain days... though now he's on some trip

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Xifex
Replies
Views
coralbandit
Replies
Views
karate626
Replies
Views