Convict Cichlid Overstocked?

Courtneyburke0
I have just inherited 7 convicts. 1 male and 6 females. I didn't know how many he was going to give me. I have a 39 gallon with a sponge filter, marineland 200 bio wheel penguin hang on back, and a tetra internal for a 10-20 gallon and a heater. Is my tank overstocked? I have an extra 29 gallon. I tried aqua advisor but convicts weren't on their list. I've been keeping fish for 5 years and I know some people hate convicts. I know about the aggression and species only tanks for them. Thanks.

AquaticJ
If there's no aggression you should be good.

Courtneyburke0
Lance0414
I would keep the paired couple if there is one and try rehoming or getting a new tank for the others. If they aren't already, once they grow up they will fight to the death over territory and mates.

Courtneyburke0
I would keep the paired couple if there is one and try rehoming or getting a new tank for the others. If they aren't already, once they grow up they will fight to the death over territory and mates.

If I separate the male will they still try to kill each other?

Lance0414
If they have enough decorations and a larger tank the females will be more peaceful but will still fight over territory, with Convicts it is hard to have a peaceful tank.

Put the male and his mate in the 29 and the rest in the 39, that way at least there will be less aggression.

Courtneyburke0
Put the male and his mate in the 29 and the rest in the 39, that way at least there will be less aggression.

I'll do that thanks

schmalzy_x0
I have a male convict, he is very aggressive and he does not like his own kind. He even tortured the female I had, I had to rehome her. I would keep just a male and female and see how that goes. Or get rid of the male if you don't want babies. Every fish is different, with cichlids it's like trail and error to see who gets along with who. Hope you get it sorted! I love my convict!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishjunkiejimmy
Replies
Views
Graphix
Replies
Views
RogueAgent94
Replies
Views