55 Gallon Tank Convict Cichlid has eggs in mixed community tank—Help needed!

How should I protect any eggs that hatch?

• Tank Divider with fry alone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tank divider with Convict Cichlid mother

• Fry basket

• Total voters

Longfamilyaquarium

Please help! I have only had my fish for about a month. I mistakenly mixed African cichlids and Central American cichlids in my 55 gallon tank. My convict was constantly fighting with everyone so I added a firemouth cichlid to try to level things out. The other day I noticed my convict was not as active as she usually is, and she was hiding in the same spot. She was super pale too, her deep black stripes and brightly colored fins and belly were faded. When I looked, I realized she laid eggs! I am guessing that if they are fertilized then the firemouth could be the father but I am honestly not sure. I have so many questions and need some help on how to deal with this. Please help!
IMG_2007.jpg

IMG_2019.jpg

jkkgron2

I don’t think the eggs will hatch, but if they do the firemouth is probably the father. If they do end up being unfertilized or if you don’t want to raise the baby’s you could just take out the piece of decor that has the eggs on it. Otherwise I would look into getting a tank divider with the convict and her fry.

Longfamilyaquarium

jkkgron2 said:
I don’t think the eggs will hatch, but if they do the firemouth is probably the father. If they do end up being unfertilized or if you don’t want to raise the baby’s you could just take out the piece of decor that has the eggs on it. Otherwise I would look into getting a tank divider with the convict and her fry.
Ok. Thank you! I was actually hoping to get some babies out of it! I didn’t know how to tell whether the eggs were fertilized or not. I figured the white ones were bad, but had some hope for the others. It’s been about 2 days now I guess. She’s been hiding out back there for at least two days and I noticed the eggs yesterday morning. I figured all of the bad ones would have turned white by now.

jkkgron2

Longfamilyaquarium said:
Ok. Thank you! I was actually hoping to get some babies out of it! I didn’t know how to tell whether the eggs were fertilized or not. I figured the white ones were bad, but had some hope for the others. It’s been about 2 days now I guess. She’s been hiding out back there for at least two days and I noticed the eggs yesterday morning. I figured all of the bad ones would have turned white by now.
Yeah, it does sound like some might be fertile then. You might want to look into live food cultures, to feed the babies when or if they hatch. If you want to raise the fry getting a divider without holes would be a good idea so that the fry don’t swim through the holes and get eaten.

Longfamilyaquarium

jkkgron2 said:
Yeah, it does sound like some might be fertile then. You might want to look into live food cultures, to feed the babies when or if they hatch. If you want to raise the fry getting a divider without holes would be a good idea so that the fry don’t swim through the holes and get eaten.
Ok thank you! I will go down to Petco and see what they have. The only concern I have with the tank divider without holes is how I will get water circulating over there without purchasing a new filter and heater...

jkkgron2

Longfamilyaquarium said:
Ok thank you! I will go down to Petco and see what they have. The only concern I have with the tank divider without holes is how I will get water circulating over there without purchasing a new filter and heater...
If you don’t want to get some new supplies I would go with a divider with holes. Maybe you could add in some soft plants/soft decorations by the wholes to prevent the fry from getting through?

Longfamilyaquarium

I’m trying to figure out if those are babies that I see curled up inside the dark eggs. This is my first time ever experiencing this so I have no idea what I am looking at.

5CA09119-4A9D-43E2-8FDE-C29687E8639A.jpeg

75A6F084-5F9C-4308-BC2A-A5D63C35D5DE.jpeg

jkkgron2

Longfamilyaquarium said:
I’m trying to figure out if those are babies that I see curled up inside the dark eggs. This is my first time ever experiencing this so I have no idea what I am looking at.

5CA09119-4A9D-43E2-8FDE-C29687E8639A.jpeg

75A6F084-5F9C-4308-BC2A-A5D63C35D5DE.jpeg
Sorry for not responding earlier! It’s hard to tell if the eggs are fertile, but if they aren’t more should start turning white, and in the next couple days you’ll have a better idea if any are fertile.

Longfamilyaquarium

jkkgron2 said:
Sorry for not responding earlier! It’s hard to tell if the eggs are fertile, but if they aren’t more should start turning white, and in the next couple days you’ll have a better idea if any are fertile.
Yes, it’s 72 hours in and they are almost all white at this point. Bless her heart, she is just moving the dead eggs that have fallen off the side of the stump to a little nook in the stump. They keep falling and she keeps moving them like she doesn’t realize they are dead
85AC8477-5A3D-48F7-9F77-11AB5D2F6B52.jpeg

jkkgron2

Longfamilyaquarium said:
Yes, it’s 72 hours in and they are almost all white at this point. Bless her heart, she is just moving the dead eggs that have fallen off the side of the stump to a little nook in the stump. They keep falling and she keeps moving them like she doesn’t realize they are dead
85AC8477-5A3D-48F7-9F77-11AB5D2F6B52.jpeg
Poor girl . Since this is her first spawn she’s pretty inexperienced when it comes to raising fry, so it’s possible she doesn’t realize the eggs are infertile. Hopefully a few of the eggs do make it, but if not there will be more eggs in the future, that may be fertile depending on if she paired with the FM.

Longfamilyaquarium

jkkgron2 said:
Poor girl . Since this is her first spawn she’s pretty inexperienced when it comes to raising fry, so it’s possible she doesn’t realize the eggs are infertile. Hopefully a few of the eggs do make it, but if not there will be more eggs in the future, that may be fertile depending on if she paired with the FM.

1609299069161.png

BigBeardDaHuZi

Convict cichlids have a bit of rabbit in them.... if this batch fails, you can be sure another will follow. Watching a pair of convicts raise up a batch of fry is really something special. They are doting parents and fiercely protective. Although, due to their procreative nature, it can be a little hard to find homes for the young ones. It is easy to be buried alive in convicts. So to speak.

Longfamilyaquarium

BigBeardDaHuZi said:
Convict cichlids have a bit of rabbit in them.... if this batch fails, you can be sure another will follow. Watching a pair of convicts raise up a batch of fry is really something special. They are doting parents and fiercely protective. Although, due to their procreative nature, it can be a little hard to find homes for the young ones. It is easy to be buried alive in convicts. So to speak.
Good to know! It’s so exciting to watch them how they all interact in there. I never knew fish could be so interesting, lol.

Latest threads

Top Bottom