convict cichlid eating fish to the bone Help 

lollipopkiller

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have an urgent issue with my convict fish. I had him alone for about a half a year after he was harassing some of the other fish in the tank. I thought now that if I moved him to a bigger tank maybe I could add more fish but he ate them to the bone there was nothing but the head and a few scraps left of these fish. what should I do with him the tank was
50g and I only added 2 more fish. they were both about an inch bigger then him in side. how could he even do that? what should I do with him? and is something wrong with him?

please help!!!!!!!!!!!

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I guess he likes to be the only fish. Or, you put sickly fish in with him. I've observed my fish actually harass a sickly fish to death, then consume them. This is instinctual behavior. It helps keep their environment disease free and keeps the community healthy.

lollipopkiller

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
the fish I put in with him looked healthy and fine beautiful marlings swam freely and energenicly. it was a big tank with tons of hiding places when I went to sleep when I woke up everything was broken the fish had nowhere to hide and they were just bone. is that normal?

the fish were small sun fish I raised up to be 8-9 inches the convict cichlid was 7in

leonus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, you didnt mention what the other fish were...Size doesnt always equal an ability to make good in a fight...

You might post some more pics of your tank.

It might help to have lots of rocks and hiding places, so he can stake out a territory, and others might have some place to run to...

As far as damage resistant tankmates..thats a tricky situation.

You could try a large pleco, or one of the armored catfish. Loaches and Botias are also good at sticking up for themselves.

The thing is, with a fish that is dedicated to holding his territory, He may even attack an invincible foe until he tears his own mouth apart...And if you go with a tankmate that is equally "tough" like a green terror or managuensis or something, chances are it will still be a fight to the finish, last fish swimming kind of thing.

The truth is that aggressive, territorial cichlids often are really only suited in the long term, to extremely large tanks, or alone, possibly with a mate..

oops sorry posted slow missed the sunfish part...

Tsyklon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm sorry, you need to provide the species of fish. Convicts are aggressively territorial, as are most cichlids, and will quickly hunt down and destroy most non-cichlid species of fish. On the other hand, a breeding pair of convicts are amazing.

lollipopkiller

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have had Oscars and big plecos and I tried 2 girls with him I had to remove them all one way or another cuz they got bashed by this guy he did enjoy having a female green terror around though but she died naturally

Tsyklon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you're going to keep fish other than convicts in that tank, they're probably going to have to be other Central American cichlids. Otherwise that little guy is going to keep bashing anyone else you put in there. They don't take too kindly to strangers, you see.

lollipopkiller

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ya I just really don't know what to do with him im afraid he will kill all my other fish. my mom gets mad that he kills them all and said if he kills one more thing I cant keep him anymore. even if he does irritate me really badly and get me mad he is my oldest fish and I still love him.

LisaAnne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Sorry to hear that your fish were eaten. Convicts are pretty aggressive. They've been know to take on just about any fish, including some twice their size! With cichlids you'll find that it usually comes down to the individual attitude, not size alone. That being so, some convicts can live well in a community with other fish, while other convicts will not. 7" is pretty large for a convict. Adding tank mates will be tricky with an aggressive convict that size. Personally, I would try adding another convict. A breeding pair can be quite enjoyable, IMO. Just keep in mind that every now and then you'll find a cichlid that just doesn't live at peace with other fish. I've had some Africans like that.

I am always reminding myself that it's a cichlids overall aggressive (whether mildly aggressive or very aggressive) attitude that makes them so endearing! On the flip side of the coin however, it can make things rather trying at times! lol I am currently only keeping African cichlids but, cichlids are my favorite fish to keep!!

Best of luck to you!!!

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You might want to consider it going solo from here. Think of it as solitary confinement for a convict fish.

w_boughner

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Have you ever fed him live feeders before ??? I have found that live food will creat a aggression towards any new fish no matter the type or size I had this problem with a jewel in the past the only way I had any luck was to move him and really stress him out(small tank with no structure and a really Bright light for a week) to force him to loose all sence of dominance and territory then put him back in after all other fish were in the tank and settled .... I wouldn't do it again its mistreatment of the fish I would accept that it may have to be a solo fish or rehomed it and start over and get your cichlids as young as you can and keep it with lots of fish from when you bring it home to prevent a aggression issue ... I would recommend not feeding live food

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom