Convict Breeding Help Help

1. Josh Summers Member Member

So my convicts spawned about 2 weeks ago. And the male and female were very good parents. And this is their first spawn . But everything was good then today I noticed almost all the fry gone. And them trying to lip lock alot. Does that mean their trying to spawn again. I was gonna remove the last 10 fry. But I herd it can make aggression worse between them. I was gonna put them in their own tank. But I wasn't sure when to remove them from their parents. There is other fish in the tank but until today thru were great protectors of the fry. Will the male and female get aggressive if I move the fry? And when they spawn again when should I move the fry from the parents?

2. Kasshan Well Known Member Member

What were your plans for the fry had they survived?i have several opinions and reliable anecdotes but it depends on what your intent and future is so I can give you the relevant factoids. I don't want to assume or generalize

3. Josh Summers Member Member

Well I had a few people who wanted some. But theirs only like 5 left and the male and female are lip locking alot. But I don't want to make it worse if I remove what fry are left. I think their gonna spawn again. But I think the female is not wanting to cause the fry. Will the aggression get worse if I move the fry to a different place?

4. grantm91 Well Known Member Member

You need to remove the fry. Thats why the two are fighting because one of them has decided to eat the babies and the other one doesn't like it. If possible also separate the pair for a few days.

5. yukondog Well Known Member Member

Remove the fry or they might finish eating them, when I breed my cichlids [kribs] I'll pull the fry after a couple of weeks and separate the parents for a week or two and feed them well.

6. Josh Summers Member Member

Well I woke up today and 2 little fry left but the male has left her alone finally. I pulled the fry and put them in a separate tank. It took me 30minutes to catch 2 little fry with a net. Any better options? Also this was their first spawn ever. So I expected complications. But they didn't make it a week. They were free swimming for maby 4 days then poof all gone. But I know they'll spawn again. The female started eating again so maby she was eating them cause she didn't eat for a few days. But would leave what little fry was left to fend for them selves for long periods of time. I think my juvenile jack and hap picked alot off and the parents gave up on what was left. Cause shes digging again like she was when she wanted to lay eggs