Convict breeding behaviour question

Fishjunkiejimmy

I have a pair of breeding convicts who have been really good together had two batches since they paired up and it’s at the point now where the babies are big enough to b leaving the tank and the parents ready to breed again and my question is the male is chasing the female a lot and it’s to my understanding that this is part of the breeding behaviour and I’m new to this but have cichlid experience and I would say this is relentless my female has to hide all the time and when he isn’t chasing her he’s looking for her and as soon as he sees her right after her again luckily she is smarter than him and hides easily this had been going on for about 3 days now should I b concerned or is this normal breeding behaviour I’m new to convicts any opinions are welcome and appreciated thanks

otterblue

(From my limited experience)
I had a pair of convicts that bred regularly and I don't recall any incessant chasing. Maybe it has something to do with protecting the fry? I always took my fry out fairly early and there was only one brood at a time. Maybe when the babies are out he'll calm down.

Fishjunkiejimmy

Yea that maybe it cause she always was kinda in her cave clearing out the sand and he was always out with the fry watching out for them he isn’t bitting her or anything and she eats normal but yea I think I will get the fry out ASAP and see if that helps thanks that’s helpful

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Blitzar
Replies
Views
SuperD14
Replies
Views
Kayla Sloan
Replies
Views