20 Gallon Tank Convict Babies/Fry - Need opinion

st3vo28
I have a pair of convicts that just spawned. The eggs are inside a clay pot. I want the fry to grow up in my 10 gallon tank. Would it hurt the eggs at all if I transferred the pot into the 10 gallon and have them hatch there? Or do they need the parents when they are wrigglers?

In the 10 gallon tank already are 3 week old convict fry from a previous spawn. I do not think that they can eat each other being that the older fry are very small still.

My main goal is to have both batch of fry grow up together in the 10 gallon tank - not the 20 gallon tank.

When is it a good time to put the eggs/fry into the 10 gallon tank? I do not want to have to siphon them out of the 20 then into the 10.

Any suggestions/comments/opinions are appreciated.

Thank you

bolivianbaby
The adult convicts will feed the fry until the fry are free-swimming. IMO-it's not a good idea to remove the eggs if you want the babies to be born. Once they are free-swimming is a good time to remove them from the tank.

No the older fry cannot eat the younger fry, but they can kill them. Mine did. It was a massacre. I put my next spawn in a breeders net until they were a month old.

I hope this helps!

st3vo28
Well the thing is I have a little red oscar in the 20 gallon tank along with the convicts. I just purchased a tank separator for the tank and the oscar is on one side and the convicts + eggs are on the other. I am just afraid the wigglers are gonna squeeze through to the other side of the divider and die. Any suggestions on this? I know the parents will keep the fry close together so maybe they will prevent them from going too close to the separator?

bolivianbaby
st3vo28 said:
Well the thing is I have a little red oscar in the 20 gallon tank along with the convicts. I just purchased a tank separator for the tank and the oscar is on one side and the convicts + eggs are on the other. I am just afraid the wigglers are gonna squeeze through to the other side of the divider and die. Any suggestions on this? I know the parents will keep the fry close together so maybe they will prevent them from going too close to the separator?
Ahhh...uh,oh. The oscar is going to need a 55 gallon tank minimum as he gets bigger. Are you growing him out to put him in a larger tank?

My best advice would be to put the oscar in a 55 gallon tank and then you won't have to worry about where the babies are. And your oscar will be very happy to grow up in all that space

However, the parents will keep the fry very close until they're free-swimming. Then the parents play "catch the babies" and the babies don't cooperate It's pretty fun to watch They should be fine until they're free-swimming though. Plus, convict parents are VERY protective and will happily "take on" an oscar protecting their fry.

st3vo28
Spring Break

I am going on spring break tomorrow and I am leaving my two tanks at school..do I:

A) Leave the wigglers (3 days wiggling) in the 20 gallon tank with the parents and partitioned off tank with the red oscar where the water temp is ~74-76oF. The wigglers will turn into fry by the time I get back from break.

B) Transfer the wigglers to the 10 gallon tank and leave them in a breeding net for the week where the water temp is ~80-82oF to turn into fry.

C) your own opinion

wonton55912
I don't know much about this but I choose option a

st3vo28
The fry are now hatched and are free swimming with the male and female adults. I have a 10 gallon tank that have another ~20+ free swimming fry about 3 weeks old.

Is is safe for me to add the newly fry in the 10 gallon tank?
Should I leave the new fry in the 20 gallon tank with the adults?
When will the adults kill the fry to get ready for their next spawn?

Top Bottom