convict and angelfish?

1. marc-olivier

marc-olivier New Member Member

hi all, I want to buy a new 65gal tank.
    after some reading i would like a pair of convict because easy to see a female with red belly if im right..

but already have 37gal tank with 1 angelfish adult 2years and active, will i be able to add it with a convict pair?

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't put an angel in with a convict pair. There are other more mellow fish you could get. If you like convicts, how about honduran red points? They are a convict derivative, but without the attitude.

3. OP
    OP
    marc-olivier

You mean I could add my AngelFish with a pair of Honduran Red Point?

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Based on what I've heard about them, and absolutely no experience of my own, I think so. I've asked someone about it...

5. Wendy Lubianetsky

Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

When a convict spawns, they have been known to bring down an Oscar for threatening its territory. An Angelfish wouldn't have a chance against convicts. You could put some discus fish in with your Angel. They play well in tanks.

6. CichlidSWAGA

CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

Discus are very high maintenance though! Probably one of the most beautiful FW fish there is IMO. As for the convict there is a reason its called a convict :).
    Honduran red points are very cool looking fish don't know much about them tho. Or buy your new tank get some cons for it and keep your angel in the 37g MTS!!!!

7. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

I have to agree, I wouldn't mix Discus with anything. They do best in a species only tank.

Hondurans look cool ;)

8. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I have kept and bred Honduran Red Points. They are an incredible species, but I would consider them a bit too feisty to keep with angels. My Hondurans killed my Columbian tetras.

My convicts were definitely too aggressive to be kept with angels as well.

Hope this helps!

9. OP
    OP
    marc-olivier

It help, My angel already rule is 37g let it be that way.
    Convict look nice and Im curious to see them in pair. I just hope they dont hide most of the time?

10. allaboutfish

allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

you might try german or bolivian rams with the angel.