Convict Aggression: When Is It Too Much? Question

1. KatieJay Initiate Member

I recently purchased a used 40 gallon tank from a very nice family and it came with 4 adult male convicts. They have grown up together and are 2 years old. There is a very clear pecking order and the alpha male often chases the others, especially the second largest. They don't bite each other, just chase and flare gills at each other. The two smallest ones show almost no aggression at all and hide most of the time. I'll provide pictures. I'm not sure if they are ok in this setup. Is this stressful for them? They grew up together but they are pretty big now... would you find new homes for them or maybe keep one? I've also looked into new larger decor to provide more hiding places. Would that stop the chasing possibly?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. KatieJay Initiate Member

I've had them for about 3 weeks and the alpha male is still chasing. The beta male, or whatever you want to call him, chases the smaller ones as well. I don't know maybe it's more stressful for me than them?

3. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    I would rehome the rest and keep one of them if they are all males. If it were a 75g I think it would be all right, but this size tank is too small long term for all these convicts imo.

4. KatieJay Initiate Member

Thank you, I was afraid of that but it does seem to small for them in my opinion too. I'm sure it was fine for awhile but they are just too big now. I feel bad giving them up but I think they would be happier in a different setup and I just can't afford to run another tank at the moment.

5. Josh Summers Member Member

I would keep whatever male u like best and try to re-home the others. If u advertise large males alot of the time people have large females they can't find males for or not the room to grow up a female big enough is another tank. I had to buy a tiny 2 inch male <I hope> for my giant 6inch female jack Dempsey. And he's growing but it's gonna take months before he's size enough to breed with my female. I know alot of people who get 1 convict and it kills off the rest of the tank and their stuck with a single big fish in a big tank. The only option they have is to add another convict and try to breed.