Convict advice

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I got this request in a private message and wanted to post it for other's input:

ok,,,i have 3 convicts but one keeps hiding behind plastic plant. the other 2 chaced it or just inored it,, unless it is dinner time.  i moved the 2 agressive convicts to tank by their selves and they get along great.  here is my problem,,,i have the one convict and 2 algi eaters in the tank still it stays hidden,,,what other fish can i add to tank to get the convict moving around like the other ones i had to move. your answer is greatly neeed. thanks
I suggested that 2 of them might have paired up and were bullying the 3rd one, and to move the pair to another tank.  I got this pm today:

GUNNIE,,,,SORRY TO GET BACK TO U SO LATE,,,BEEN OUT OF TOWN. WHILE GONE I STOPPED IN PETCO AND GOT (5)-TETRA-SEPAE-,I.5"AND (2)DANIO-ZEBRA-LG-1.5"  EVERYONE SEEMS TO BE GETTING ALONG ,,EVEN THE 2 ALGIE EATERS,,,BUT,,,,MY CONVICT IS STILL HIDING,,WHY?    I HAVE HAD MY TANK SET UP SINCE NOV 30th,,IT'S 10 GAL. PLENTY OF AIR AND BUBBLES,,TEMP IS FINE TO.  YES THE BULLYS ARE GONE IN OTHER TANK ,,THEIR GREAT BUT NEED TO GET ANOTHER BOTTOM FEEDER OR TANK WALL CLEANER. ANY SUGGESTIONS THEIR FOR ME ON ALL THIS?   

Other than the tank being overstocked, does anyone else that's kept convicts have any other ideas?

smillermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have convicts but opted for just 2 females together.  One thing as you noted, the tank is seriously overstocked and a convict needs at least 20 gallons as a female can get up to 4-6 inches long.  I think because of the bullying, she will have to come into her own as they say.  Convicts also prefer harder ph, didn't know if he checked the ph. It may just be how she is, had some serious damage from the others as my females will squabble and not only bite but butt each other.  She probably needs to establish her territory in his tank and then watch out, the other fish will be in trouble. They are great fish but very very territorial. As long as she is eating, she should be okay. Suggest some frozen brine shrimp. They absolutely love it. Their colors especially get vivid when they are being assertive or they're vying for a territory in the tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom