Converting used SW to FW Help

1. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

We found a great deal on a used SW tank and want to convert it to FW (assuming it passes a leak test). I'm not sure how to thoroughly clean the equipment and the tank itself. Most of the stuff rinsed out but there is still some stuck on deposits. I'm not even sure how to identify some of the equipment that came with this thing, but i'll get that sorted as I go. I'm just trying to get it cleaned up before I go any further. I haven't had fish in many years and am basically a newb now. Thanks! <Photo is pre-rinse>

Attached Files:

2. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Hi there :)

I just did this myself with a 75g. I found that a little white vinegar solution recommended to me here (50/50 I think please someone else verify) got most of the salt off. I didn't have thick deposits at all but I did on a previous tank. For the glass, it worked to soak a towel in vinegar and let it rest on the deposit for a few hours. Razor blade used carefully also helps. I should not that, where there were heavy deposits on plastic parts - that was unsalvageable for me. And I tried EVERYTHING including CLR (mistake), crying, screaming, cursing, begging, pleading and kicking my feet like a 2 year old. None worked, lol. The deposit was basically fused with the plastic pieces.

After that, rinse, air dry, rinse again. At the time, I was informed that a little marine salt residue was not going to hurt anyone as long as you get most of it off.

Good luck, looking forward to seeing it set up :)

3. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

+poeticinjustices - same here. My tank was previously salt water but not in bad shape. The canopy had more salt deposits on it than the tank did. Also used vinegar and water. No problems at all.

4. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

Ahhh so I went to look for an appropriate tank scraper or sponge cleaning tool and allll out! The closest place to have them is about 40 minutes away. I realize most household sponges have something in them to resist mold, but if I rinse the tank a lot after will it be okay? If I use a towel, it's been through the clothes washer so it would have residues from detergent also, correct?

5. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Just go to lowes or Wal-Mart and buy a paint scraper.

6. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

I went to the other lps I hadn't visited yet. The guy actually gave me a scrubber he likes to use. They have fantastic flame gourami! The man knows how to get recurring customers.

Started my leak test and found the manufacturer date. Wish me luck!

7. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Do you know if your tank is glass or acrylic? I couldn't tell if it was a bowfront or not and a lot of bowfronts are acrylic. The only reason I'm asking is that you'll need to be extra careful with a scraper/razor as it may scratch an acrylic tank with ease.

8. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

I honestly don't know but with the thick silicone seams I'm thinking glass? I haven't had to use a razor, which was surprising to me. The glass top might be another story. I used a scrubber sponge from my lps and haven't seen any scratches?

9. delta5 Well Known Member Member

When you say scrubber sponge, are you talking about the yellow and green type or the scouring pad made from slivers of metal?

10. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

Just the green, looks like an algae pad. I know better than to use the metal ones on anything other than my stainless steel pots and pans. :)

I should say that I'm Southern and we tend to make up our own terms and descriptions for things. Y'all is my favorite word.

Oh and it is a bowfront, but the seams really throw me off.