Converting To Ro/di

MizzouGuy

Reaction score
After purchasing RO/DI system for saltwater I have decided to start using it for my freshwater tanks. Mainly because the tap water isn't the greatest (specifically Nitrates).

Need some advice on the best way to attack the conversion. I have decided to go with Seachem Equilibrium, Fresh Trace, Alkaline Buffer, and Acid Buffer. I would like to maintain GH and KH around 4 with PH at 7.

My tanks are about the same but here is a run down:
Crushed Coral to keep the PH levels up around 6.8-7.0.
Weekly water changes about 25%.
Tap water (GH-6, KH-4, Ammonia -5ppm, Nitrite-.5ppm, Nitrate-20ppm.
Tank a few days after a water change (KH-pretty much 0, GH 15dGH, Ammonia-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate-High-usually 80ppm and my biggest concern with having Canisters and switching to RO/DI) along with the KH at 0.
I have mixture of plants and no plants but plan on having plants in all which is why I want to go with Equilibrium.
Tanks have been running for about a year, no issues with losing fish.

On to my questions:
1. Best way to convert (use the buffering with Alkaline and Acid Buffer to bring the GH up) and removing the Coral or slowly adjust with water changes?
2. Best way to mix in all the Seachem. I use 5 gallon buckets for the water changes. Do I add all the Seachem products together in each bucket, 1 bucket or directly in the tank with the water change? Specifically with the Alkaline and Acid buffers, it doesn't state the best way to add these on the directions and the 2 bubble when added together. Is it better to add Alkaline to 1 bucket and Acid to another and then add them both the tank together.

Thank you for any advice.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore hope our members who use Ro/Di can help answer your questions today

Oarngesi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I always thought it was a bad idea because the fish need the minerals in the water that you’ll be removing

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom