Converting to Prime.

1. Bellatrix Member Member

Hi all,

I'm wanting to convert to Prime from my regular water conditioner and I was wondering if suddenly switching would upset things.

Is it safe to add Prime to my next water change instead of my regular conditioner or will the two different products react to each other? If that makes sense?

I also drop a capful of TSS in every time I do a water change. Do I still do this with Prime?

I know these may sound like stupid questions but I'm still new to this, Google gives such conflicting information.

2. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Just switch, it won't affect anything. You can also add it with TSS, although adding TSS is unnecessary.

3. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Come on Bellatrix, you have 72 posts and still don't know there are no stupid questions.;)

It will be fine to just switch to Prime with your next water change. There will be no interference between Prime and whatever you are using presently.

If your tank is cycled, there is no reason to add TSS. Your water changes will not damage your bacteria in anyway, so there is no reason to add new bacteria to the tank. Plus the Prime will cause the TSS to fail anyway.

4. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Bel...

No such thing as a stupid question, just a stupid mistake. If you're planning to switch water treatments, I suggest using a better product. Prime has been around for several years and is a good product. A better one, by the same company "Seachem" is Safe. It's a powder form of Prime. It's much cheaper and works just as well.

You can switch any time you want and don't have to worry about chemical reactions. Just dose according to directions.

Old

5. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

... only according to Tetra. In practice it doesn't affect TSS.

6. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

And what would Tetra know about SafeStart right?

7. peregrine Member Member

Like Jdhef said if your tank is cycled. Changing your water conditioner should have no ill effect.
    @jdhef what @hampalong is saying is that people have safely used Prime with TSS+ and had it not effect it

Oh and there are stupid questions.. just nothing you are likely to find when related to any animal keeping.... Like "why can't I remove my brain".... :D

8. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

The telephone staff... not much. They get their answers from the marketing team. Even their explanation of how it affects TSS is nonsense.

9. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I said this in another thread...I would (and have) follow Tetra's instrucions on how to use their product.
    More so than information from someone who has never used it and cannot purchase it.

Not doing say may set yourself up for failure. Maybe not but what does it hurt to follow the instructions :)

10. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

And you base this info on what? I'm sorry, but I just can't take your opinion over what the manufacturer claims. What purpose would it serve for Tetra to say you need to wait 24 hours, if they haven't found thru testing that it is required?

11. Bellatrix Member Member

Thank you for all your replies.

The last few posts wicked confused me but the rest thanks.

12. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Ha. Let's not get off topic on the TSS and Prime debate.

You're welcome Bell!

13. Bellatrix Member Member

I've noticed there's a lot of debates with TSS and Prime.

14. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

To me there is no debate...I just follow the manufacturer's recommendations. I have used SafeStart several times, and was successful each time.

But note, it's not just Prime that can cause SafeStart to fail, it is any water conditioner which removes chloramines if used less than 24 hours before adding TSS which can cause it to fail.

And as far as I am aware, every water conditioner on the market removes chloramines.

15. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Definitely. The safest option is always to follow manufacturer instructions!

16. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

I'm basing this information partly on personal experience and the experience of others, partly on the results of debate about this topic on nearly every other forum, partly on the fact that all manufacturers stick up for their products no matter what, partly on the fact that with a lot of manufacturers, if you can manage to get through to the research scientists themselves you get totally different answers to what you get from those employed to answer questions from the 'general public', who need to be told what to say so that they don't say anything damaging to the company, and partly on the reasons Tetra give to explain why it doesn't work... The reason they give us that Prime "binds up ammonia, making it inaccessible to bacteria". What really happens is Prime converts free ammonia atoms into ammonium ions. An ammonium ion is an ammonia molecule that has combined with a molecule of something else, sharing an electron in the process, which turns it from NH3 into NH4+. This is basic school-level chemistry. As you should know, both free ammonia (NH3) and the ammonium ion (NH4+) are easily used by bacteria.

Then with respect you're not aware of many. Most dechlorinators on the market are still based purely on sodium thiosulphate, which does not break down chloramine. Most dechlorinators that do break down chloramine do not convert the ammonia into ammonium. They're changing, but the dechlorinators that break down chloramine and bind the free ammonia into ammonium compounds are still a minority.

So do you throw out your filter media when they tell you to? Blindly following instructions isn't always a good idea. I agree in this case there's nothing wrong with waiting 24 hours, but mods on a forum should post facts rather than assumptions.

Ive no idea who the person is who has never used Prime and cannot purchase it. I think you posted that one unfinished? Tetra is a German company. It's products were available in the UK long before they were available in the US, and they still are.

I really think that mods on a forum should check the facts (they're easily checked) rather than posting incorrect assumptions and personal opinion.

17. Bellatrix Member Member

Whoa... Well this is way off topic.. All I asked was if it was safe to convert to Prime.

I didn't want to start a debate.

Thanks anyway..

18. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Coradee, I apologise, it wasn't you that warned about going off-topic in a thread that wasn't.
    Bellatrix, sorry for my part in going off-topic. I'll say no more on the subject. :)

19. Bellatrix Member Member

Oh it's fine.

You seen passionate and I love that in people.

20. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

It isn't off topic. Bellatrix asked about using Prime and stated she was going to use SafeStart along with it. I answered her question fully. You came along and challenged my advice and since I believe your advice on this was wrong, I defended my position.

I believe the manufacturer knows more about their product than you do. I'm not going to change your mind and you're certainly not going to change my mind. I will leave it up to Bellatrix (and anyone else following this thread) to come to their own conclusion.