converting to canister filter

1. R

RDW#1 New Member Member

I want to convert my bio media from ceramic to stars or the bio balls, how do I achieve this when I convert to a canister filter from a hob filter ?

2. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore.

To transfer the bacteria from the ceramic beads you will need to add them to the canister with the start/bioballs for at least a month. Then, remove. To make this process easier you could add the ceramic beads to a media bag or a nylon sock; or place into its own compartment within the canister.

Good luck upgrading your filtration.

:;fThread moved to the Filters and Filtration forum

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum

Once you switch to a canister, you'll never go back to HOBs.

If by bioballs you mean the plastic things, then you'll be doing yourself and the fish a disservice by switching from the ceramic rings. The plastic can only house bacteria on it's outer surface, while the ceramics house it throughout.

4. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

When I set up my canister, I took every piece of biomedia from the HOB I was upgrading from and stuffed it all into the baskets, alongside the new canister stuff. I've never removed the HOB stuff. There's no reason to.

5. OP
    OP
    R

RDW#1 New Member Member

I'm somewhat confused! I just read a post that suggest that HOB filters are suggested to be 8-10x the volume of tank, and that cannister filters are 5x the volume. The HOB filters that I presently have (2) aquaclears (70@300gph, & 110@ 500gph), isn"t that combined 800gph for my 90 gal tank ? How is that I'll be better off with a canister filter thats rated at 450gph ? (rena XP4)

6. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

For canister filters the Gallons Per Hour (GPH) should be 5 to 8 x the volume of the tank.

Canister filters are said to be more efficient than Hang On Back (HOB) type filters.

Ken

7. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Definitely agree! Never used a HOB for this reason.

The efficiency is largely due to a canisters ability to hold more media, and process more water at once.

8. i

iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Canisters are one of the best investments you can make on your tank.

They will indeed process a lot more water and can provide so much more safety for your tank

9. LyndaB

Not to mention, the canister is silent and hidden away in your tank stand, so you don't have all this machinery on the back of your tank taking away from the aesthetic value.

10. Jaysee

The extra media in the canister allows for a higher concentration of ammonia in the incoming water, which is why the turnover rate doesn't need to be as high. Because of the limited volume of media an HOB has, it can only process a small concentration of ammonia, so it needs to cycle the water faster so that the concentration doesn't get too high for it to handle.

11. i

I think what we're saying is canisters are great :)

12. OP
    OP
    R

RDW#1 New Member Member

All in All, I'm I better of with the 2 aquaclear HOB's ( 70 & 110), or upgrading to a Rena XP4 for my 90 gal ?

13. i

Rena XP4 all the way. You are much better off with that.

14. LyndaB

HOB filters = ;:barf

Canister filters = :sign0011:

15. i

Lol!...

Great summary LyndaB :):)

16. OP
    OP
    R

RDW#1 New Member Member

with all the different options with the filter's media. What would you recommend for the XP4's media set-up ?

17. Jaysee

I have all my canisters set up the same way - fluval ceramic prefilter media in the bottom (first). They catch large and medium particles, while not disturbing the water flow, keeping the finer mechanical media from getting glogged. I have two 750 gram boxes in it. Next are all the mechanical pads. The third and fouth trays are filled with biomax - two 500 gram boxes in each.

18. L

Lupinus Valued Member Member

I'd say you're better off with the canister.

As for set up, I basically have it the same way as Jaysee. Pre-filer media, filter pads, biomedia. Only difference is I have the finest filter padding after the biomedia so it's the last time the water flows through.

19. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I just cleaned out my canister and changed the media around. Did I do it wrong? Foam in first 3 trays, ceramic rings and lava rock on top, was on bottom.

20. OP
    OP
    R

RDW#1 New Member Member

no one mentioned chemical media