Converting Reef Tank to Freshwater

arcticfirefighter

Hi everyone, I am new to the forums but not new to the hobby. I have been on the saltwater side for years. I have had a few spinal fusions and am finding the maintenance of a reef tank to be a bit much for me now. I love the hobby and so does my 9 year old daughter. My question is, would my 57 gallon Deep Blue Rimless Tank be ok for the freshwater side. I plan on using a sump for the system but am concerned about the size of the internal overflow. It's not an issue on the reef size because of my 2 MP10 wavemakers that cause enough turnover to keep those areas on the sides clean. I know the turnover and flow is significantly less on the freshwater side, so I was just trying to get some input on the use of this tank. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210822-142028_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210822-142028_Chrome.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20201212_192616.jpg
    20201212_192616.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 24

Cody

I wouldn’t worry a great deal. Obviously as you know the sump is considered a rarity/overkill in the freshwater world, at least compared to wear your coming from.

You would maybe have to watch if you cared to do a planted tank but I’m not sure if that’s beyond your desires with your aliments. But even in that case a wave maker could compensate in that case for any issues with dead spots that may cause. Flow is important in a FW is really more crucial from a water movement vs a pure GPH. I have read a few things on flow in planted tanks how they make the point that your not dealing needing to fixate in a GPH but making sure the flow pattern hits most areas of the tank. Same principal applies to an unplanted tank but that’s more to try to ensure derbies make it to the filter intakes.

Admittedly my SW knowledge is more from researching for fun and convincing my self why I DO NOT want to bite off that adventure. But from what I understand you rely on the flow to help aid using the liverock/sand in the system for biological filtration and from firing debris into your sump. And in the salty side your Nitrates need to remain ultra low or you will have a mess of issues - again I may be totally off on this.

The Fresh side is much more forgiving in comparison. Not that those same things can’t pose their own problems but I would say you have a lot more leeway.

So in summary I think you’re sump will provide awesome and adequate filtration no matter what direction you take it. You’ll have to play the need for additional flow by ear if you see any issues but I would not call it a problem or concern from day 1.

What are the dimensions of the tank? Looks awesome today and it’s a shame you can’t continue to enjoy it. I look forward to seeing what great freshwater environment you can create!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
Fishproblem
Replies
Views