Converting My Tank To Sponge Filters

Jimmie93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm converting one of my tanks from a hang on filter to sponge filters how long should I leave my hang on filter in the tank before I remove it? So the sponge filters has enough bacteria.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It would be best to leave the current filter in for at least a month so the bacteria has time to transfer to the sponges

Jimmie93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It would be best to leave the current filter in for at least a month so the bacteria has time to transfer to the sponges
That seems a bit much doesn't it? I have jump started a brand new tank in 3 days from bacteria from a old filter cartridge.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ive done this many times and its how I seed new sponges. I put the sponge right into the HOB next to its media and leave it there 4-6 weeks. Even then, when you put the sponge filter into a new tank you can only add a small bioload as the amount of bacteria in your media only grows to the bioload size of your tank. So seeding a new sponge isnt "quick -n- easy".

That seems a bit much doesn't it? I have jump started a brand new tank in 3 days from bacteria from a old filter cartridge.
Jump started is one thing, ESPECIALLY when youre taking the actual media that has the BB growing on it. But getting NEW BB to grow on a NEW surface all the while the current BB is living and feeding off the bioload is something completely different.

Last edited by a moderator:

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Here's a thought, put the sponge in a plastic tub or something and dose ammonia in the tub, add some tetra safe start and boom, small scale fishless cycle. Then you can just take the HOB off when the sponge is done, though I would make the sponge be able to cycle 5ppm of ammonia in 24 hours just to be very sure it's capable of handling your tank

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom