Converting My 15 Gal To A 20 Long

JeffK

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,430
Reaction score
926
Location
PA
Experience
5 to 10 years
Last year at this time I was planning to tear down my 29 gal and replace it with a 33 gal long. Now it's time to tear down my 15 gal and replace it with a 20 gal long. I'd like to do a sand substrate this time - any suggestions on what type people prefer? Any pros / cons to light colored vs dark colored? (I've always used the typical aquarium gravel in the past). My current stocking plan is 8x kuhlI loaches, 8x furcata rainbows, and my male borellI apisto. Does this stocking sound ok?
 

Bruxes and Bubbles

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,861
Reaction score
2,766
I personally love play sand. It looks (in my opinion) great, and it's very soft and very cheap to buy. Only con is that you have to really wash the stuff, and it's a lighter weight sand, so stirring up the sand bed a lot is a no-no.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
JeffK

JeffK

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,430
Reaction score
926
Location
PA
Experience
5 to 10 years
It seems people recommend pool filter sand? (Sounds like it may be easier to wash initially?)
 

vikingkirken

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,406
Reaction score
3,127
Location
New Jersey
Experience
5 years
I have pool filter sand in my 55 gallon and I love it. My son has black sand in his tank, with kuhlis. The striped kuhlis stand out ok against it, but I think black ones would disappear. While others say pool filter sand shows every bit of poop, I think the black sand is worse for that. The lighter sand is more speckle-y to begin with, so things blend in more. The black is one uniform color and every bit of debris stands out. That's just my two cents, others will differ...

Your stocking sounds compatible.
 

Bruxes and Bubbles

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,861
Reaction score
2,766
Heavier sand, but it is a more white color. I like the look of sand that resembles a beach look, but that's just me. I can get a picture of my betta tank with play sand in it so you can get an idea of the look/texture if you want.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
JeffK

JeffK

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,430
Reaction score
926
Location
PA
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bruxes and Bubbles said:
Heavier sand, but it is a more white color. I like the look of sand that resembles a beach look, but that's just me. I can get a picture of my betta tank with play sand in it so you can get an idea of the look/texture if you want.
Sure - I'd love to see a pic when you get a chance...
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
JeffK

JeffK

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,430
Reaction score
926
Location
PA
Experience
5 to 10 years
vikingkirken said:
I have pool filter sand in my 55 gallon and I love it. My son has black sand in his tank, with kuhlis. The striped kuhlis stand out ok against it, but I think black ones would disappear. While others say pool filter sand shows every bit of poop, I think the black sand is worse for that. The lighter sand is more speckle-y to begin with, so things blend in more. The black is one uniform color and every bit of debris stands out. That's just my two cents, others will differ...

Your stocking sounds compatible.
I wondered if darker-colored sand would make kuhlis feel a little more secure?
 

vikingkirken

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,406
Reaction score
3,127
Location
New Jersey
Experience
5 years
Their natural habitat is sandy-bottomed rivers, so I'd think they'd be most comfortable with lighter sand, which will most closely replicate that. Not sure if it really makes a difference, though! Plenty of hiding places will definitely help!
 

el337

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
17,132
Reaction score
3,063
Location
PA
Experience
4 years
I had PFS in my tank for the first year and a half and I liked it a lot but it did eventually start turning brown and dirty-looking. I switched to BDBS a couple of months ago and I really love it. It's not all black either. It has specks of brown in it... really stunning. You have to also keep in mind that fish seem to change colors depending on the substrate. My fish paled a little against my PFS and almost looked washed out and then when I got my BDBS in, they darkened up.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
JeffK

JeffK

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,430
Reaction score
926
Location
PA
Experience
5 to 10 years
el337 said:
I had PFS in my tank for the first year and a half and I liked it a lot but it did eventually start turning brown and dirty-looking. I switched to BDBS a couple of months ago and I really love it. It's not all black either. It has specks of brown in it... really stunning. You have to also keep in mind that fish seem to change colors depending on the substrate. My fish paled a little against my PFS and almost looked washed out and then when I got my BDBS in, they darkened up.
Thanks for the tip - I hear Tractor Supply Co. carries the BDBS - I'll have to check them out! (Do you know of any other places that carry it if I strike out at TSC?) Maybe a hardware store?
 

el337

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
17,132
Reaction score
3,063
Location
PA
Experience
4 years
Yep, that's where I got mine. 20/40 medium grit is perfect, IMO. Didn't take long to wash and water wasn't cloudy at all the morning after I put it in the tank.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
JeffK

JeffK

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,430
Reaction score
926
Location
PA
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Fingers crossed that my TSC has some! Thanks!
 

el337

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
17,132
Reaction score
3,063
Location
PA
Experience
4 years
Pictures when it's in! Will you be updating us on the build in this thread or creating a new one? Would love to see what you do with the tank!
 

itsayes

Active Member
Member
Messages
241
Reaction score
128
Location
Pennsylvania
Experience
Just started
JeffK I just happened upon a TSC today on a drive home from Maryland and picked up a couple bags. Super cheap and they had medium and fine grade. Where in PA are you? If I end up with extra, it's all yours.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16
OP
JeffK

JeffK

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,430
Reaction score
926
Location
PA
Experience
5 to 10 years
el337 said:
Pictures when it's in! Will you be updating us on the build in this thread or creating a new one? Would love to see what you do with the tank!
Thanks! I'll continue to update this thread as things progress

itsayes said:
JeffK I just happened upon a TSC today on a drive home from Maryland and picked up a couple bags. Super cheap and they had medium and fine grade. Where in PA are you? If I end up with extra, it's all yours.
Lol thanks! I'm in the Allentown area - TSC less than 5 miles from me. Fingers crossed!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #17
OP
JeffK

JeffK

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,430
Reaction score
926
Location
PA
Experience
5 to 10 years
el337 said:
Yep, that's where I got mine. 20/40 medium grit is perfect, IMO. Didn't take long to wash and water wasn't cloudy at all the morning after I put it in the tank.
Stopped by my local TSC on the way home from work today and grabbed a bag. I wasn't sure if it was the fine stuff so I had the cashier scan it and it came up as the 20/40 so hopefully I'm good to go. itsayes now you don't have to hook me up with your extras I'm hoping the darker substrate really makes the furcata rainbow's yellow color pop. I just have to stay away from the real dark colored kuhlis so I have some chance of seeing them!
 

itsayes

Active Member
Member
Messages
241
Reaction score
128
Location
Pennsylvania
Experience
Just started
JeffK said:
Stopped by my local TSC on the way home from work today and grabbed a bag. I wasn't sure if it was the fine stuff so I had the cashier scan it and it came up as the 20/40 so hopefully I'm good to go. itsayes now you don't have to hook me up with your extras I'm hoping the darker substrate really makes the furcata rainbow's yellow color pop. I just have to stay away from the real dark colored kuhlis so I have some chance of seeing them!
Can't wait to see it in the tank! Mine will be sitting in the bag for another week or so until I finish building my stand!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #19
OP
JeffK

JeffK

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,430
Reaction score
926
Location
PA
Experience
5 to 10 years
itsayes said:
Can't wait to see it in the tank! Mine will be sitting in the bag for another week or so until I finish building my stand!
I still have the stand I used for my old 29 gal. Took advantage of the dollar per gallon sale at Petco to get a 2o gal long tank. I'm using an Aqueon 30 and either the heater I used for my 29 gal or the heater that's currently in my 15 gal. All of my tank decorations currently in my 15 gal will be moved to my new tank (and then I'll see what I need to add). Now to find time to get this done!
 

el337

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
17,132
Reaction score
3,063
Location
PA
Experience
4 years
JeffK said:
Stopped by my local TSC on the way home from work today and grabbed a bag. I wasn't sure if it was the fine stuff so I had the cashier scan it and it came up as the 20/40 so hopefully I'm good to go. itsayes now you don't have to hook me up with your extras I'm hoping the darker substrate really makes the furcata rainbow's yellow color pop. I just have to stay away from the real dark colored kuhlis so I have some chance of seeing them!
Nice! Yellow-colored fish seem to pop against the dark substrate really well. My small yellow guppy used to stand out so well against the dark substrate - more so than even the bigger fish.

Pictures when you get the sand in!
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
123
Guests online
1,902
Total visitors
2,025

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom