Converting Marineland Aquarium to Saltwater.

1. K3NN3TH Initiate Member

Hey y'all,

I just found out a friend of mine has a Marineland System 12 lying around that he's not using, so now that I've gotten a hold of it I was thinking about converting it to a nano setup.

I'm only looking to have FOWLR, as the compact fluorescent 50/50 actinic is only 13W (I doubt I could even keep the lowest of light mushrooms). Probably just a clownfish and a goby or two, and maybe a shrimp or crab.

Now my question is what would I need to convert it. I don't mind doing weekly PWC so I don't think I will need a protein skimmer, so I figured I would need a hydrometer, and maybe one more small flow pump (I've read the standard flow is inadequate even for FOWLR), and probably a small heater (although I live in South Texas and my house is always around 77-80 degrees, so I am skeptical about even having to buy that).

Aside from that I was going to buy some crushed coral sand and maybe 8-10 pounds of live rock for it, and let it run for a couple weeks.

What do you guys think? What else do I need, and do you think it's going to work for me as a nano cube setup? For now I'm only going to buy the replacement bulb, a hydrometer, maybe a flow pump, test kits, and salt mix (preferred brands?), with some live rock and sand. If you guys really scold me I'll get a small thermometer, but my current community tank (also a marineland 12) does just fine without a heater, and stays consistently between 75-80 degrees). I'll look into getting a small protein skimmer if you guys think it's a good idea but I would only go for something like the Fission Nano protein skimmer.

I haven't tried saltwater yet so i think this would be a cool way to get my feet wet without spending a lot of money.

Tell me your thoughts though!

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I think it would work just fine. Like you said, I think you should add 1 or 2 powerheads (Koralias are nice, 2 K nanos would work great). Hydrometers can give you a vague idea of your specific gravity, but I highly recommend a refractometer for better accuracy if it's in the budget. Oceanic salt is good, and I'm using Seachem Reef salt now and I like it so far. I don't think you'll need a skimmer on that tank as long as you do weekly water changes. I'd suggest adding a heater and keeping the tank from 78-80F. Clownfish and small gobies are a great choice for a small tank.

3. K3NN3TH Initiate Member

Cool... do you think there is any type of coral that could live under such low light?

Also what light would be better for this setup, a 50/50 10K/actinic or a pure actinic?

4. locoyo386 Well Known Member Member

Hi there, you might be able to get way with using the hydrometer but only if you keep it really clean. If you do go with a refractometer it will give much better accuracy. You will not need a heater if your temperature flaxuations are not great. If your tank temperature stays with in a range of about 4 degrees ferenheight it should be ok. Skimmer in my personal opinion is not needed in such small FOWLR setup. Water total water movement should be around 250 gph or higher. With crushed coral you are ging to have to vacum it like wit gravel in fresh water setups. For stocking fish you should be fine with the clown and goby setup, but no more than 4 fish and no bigger than 3" full grown. The amount of rock should be fine. As far as the corals go, not sure as I do not keep them.