Converting Freshwater Media To Saltwater

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have a large bag of cycled freshwater media from my 3 month old tank. I want to use this media in my 100L/26g nano reef.
But can I just put the FW media straight into my SW tank or do I have to let the FW stuff dry out before I can convert it to SW?

I want to add this extra filtration because I want there to be as little stress on the tank as possible.

Floundering_Around

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Drying the media would kill all bacteria. The best chance at having similar bacteria surviving to populate your salt water tank is to keep the media wet (with dechlorinated water) and add it straight to the saltwater tabk

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'd say you should hold off until @Nart can help. He's been in contact with Seachem, (I think), about this. If I'm not mistaken he tried it along with adding live rock to the tank and cycled in less than a month. I'm not sure I'm remembering this correctly but he'll probably be around soon enough and let you know.

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
stella1979 said:
I'd say you should hold off until @Nart can help. He's been in contact with Seachem, (I think), about this. If I'm not mistaken he tried it along with adding live rock to the tank and cycled in less than a month. I'm not sure I'm remembering this correctly but he'll probably be around soon enough and let you know.
Ok thanks. The tank is already cycled I'm just looking at adding extra filtration

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom