Converting A Saltwater Sump System To Freshwater Sump

Status
Not open for further replies.

max h

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I may have run across a deal I can't pass up, it's a 180 gallon saltwater system with a 75 gallon sump with stand canopy and RODI system for about $400. now the biggest thing other then the rinsing of the the tank and equipment real good is, I will be new to sumps. What would I need to do to convert this sump over to a fresh water system. I can use my FX4 which is cycled on the tank while the sump is getting re-established with the bacteria for a freshwater system. For the price and the added stocking capacity a large sump would afford I may not be able to pass this one up. If its just a matter of a good cleaning of the sump tank and adding fresh mechanical and bio media I guess i have a couple hours drive coming up here soon.

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's pretty much all there is to it. Depending on how bad the salt creep and water spots are, it could be a really simple process. Aside from that, kinda think of the sump as an open canister filter. Bioballs in one section, filter sand in another etc. You could even plant it and put lights on it.

max h

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's about what I thought, i just wasn't sure not messing with sumps before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom