Converting a 20 Gallon Freshwater Tank to Saltwater

TopHatMan215

I have a 20 Gallon High Aqueon Freshwater Kit, and I'm just curious what it takes or even if it is a good idea to convert it to a saltwater tank. This is my first saltwater tank and I have 0 experience with SW, though a year and half of experience with FW. I am also wondering if it can be a reef tank or if it should be Fish Only. Any info greatly appreciated!

Also: I've read that you need a Reverse Osmosis machine, but is that really necessary?

fish 321

This is what you would need
Hob filter
Heater
Light that can support corals
Wavemaker
Dry rock or live rock
Salt
Refractometer
Ro/di filter

Also an auto top off system is recomended for a tank that small and since your a beginner. And yes you should get a rodi filter especially if you are getting corals, it helps remove toxic metals and other nasties in your water that would harm corals.

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

My experience with saltwater is limited, but I did something similar a while back. I turned a 20 long freshwater into saltwater. It was not difficult. All I did was clean out the tank and the equipment. I stocked my tank mostly with live rock and macroalgae. While not really a reef with corals, I really enjoyed this tank. It was super easy to maintain too.

I did not use RO water...just tap.

Upvote 0

TopHatMan215

And I can just use the HOB that came with my set or do I need a more powerful one? It's the Aqueon Quietflow 10. Also do I need a protein Skimmer?

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

And I can just use the HOB that came with my set or do I need a more powerful one? It's the Aqueon Quietflow 10. Also do I need a protein Skimmer?

Someone else could correct me if I'm wrong about this, but I think it mostly depends on your livestock. If you plan to get stoney corals, you'd probably need to upgrade the filter and get a protein skimmer. But, if you were to get macro algae and perhaps some easy soft corals, like mushrooms, you'd probably not need anything more than what you have.

Upvote 0

TopHatMan215

I think I am going to start with a Fish only with some live rocks and perhaps later on upgrade to corals. Thanks for the info!

Does anyone have any stocking recommendations?
Also Mudminnow, you are saying I can just use water conditioner?

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

I think I am going to start with a Fish only with some live rocks and perhaps later on upgrade to corals. Thanks for the info!

Does anyone have any stocking recommendations?
Also Mudminnow, you are saying I can just use water conditioner?
It's not optimal, and may not be a good option if you get into corals and such, but, yes, just mixing salt in your conditioned tap water is doable. Now I've only had 3 saltwater tanks ever: 1 nano reef, 1 FOWLR, and one planted with macroalgae. But, I used tap water in all of them. I suppose if your tap water is really bad it wouldn't work, but that'd be true of most any tank.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
N13
Replies
Views
Cody
  • Question
Replies
Views