Well Known Member
- Reaction score
- 5 years
Its not a myth. I had a huge nitrite spike. I use canister filters which is where the majority of bb is.That's a myth. The only "toxin" would be nitrogen gas (edit: hydrogen sulfide) which would need a deep sand bed. And nitrogen would be neutralize by the oxygen in the water.
Your fish probably died from ammonia from losing a ton of your beneficial bacteria, which people here seem to think that they only have to worry about what's in their filter.
Yes you can. Just be aware that disturbing the substrate may release toxins. As long as you're aware and testing the water and do changes as needed you'll be fine. I learned after i lost fish that i caused it.Interesting. So you don't think it's safe to do a complete substrate change b/c it would deprive the tank of established BB (aside from the filter)? I'm trying to understand all perspectives. Last thing I want to do is kill our beloved fish b/c of a substrate change.
I might actually be willing to wait and do a completely different substrate once I get a bigger tank.