Converting 50% Of My 29g From Gravel To Sand

Brizburk

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That's a myth. The only "toxin" would be nitrogen gas (edit: hydrogen sulfide) which would need a deep sand bed. And nitrogen would be neutralize by the oxygen in the water.

Your fish probably died from ammonia from losing a ton of your beneficial bacteria, which people here seem to think that they only have to worry about what's in their filter.
Its not a myth. I had a huge nitrite spike. I use canister filters which is where the majority of bb is.

Interesting. So you don't think it's safe to do a complete substrate change b/c it would deprive the tank of established BB (aside from the filter)? I'm trying to understand all perspectives. Last thing I want to do is kill our beloved fish b/c of a substrate change.

I might actually be willing to wait and do a completely different substrate once I get a bigger tank.
Yes you can. Just be aware that disturbing the substrate may release toxins. As long as you're aware and testing the water and do changes as needed you'll be fine. I learned after i lost fish that i caused it.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
When i changed my gravel to sand i left everyone in the tank and everything went fine. No losses. Maybe just luck. Of course i was also nervous doing it but once it was done and everything was back in place i tested everyday for a week and the parameters all remained 0-0-10/20. And at the time all i had running on it was an Aqueon 75 filter that the 55gallon came with as a kit.

Attachments

yinoma2001

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok went ahead and do it. So much cleaner looking. Cory’s loving it! Thanks for all the tips everyone.

541D2296-9D31-4753-A6D9-06A4B2886712.jpeg
Here it is.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom