Converting 36g Bowfront -- Ideal Tank Size?

nbalaw2016

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. So as I mentioned in a another thread, my 36g bowfront has a small scratch that is keeping me up at night. Accordingly, I'm considering purchasing a new tank and keeping the bowfront as a half-filled quarantine tank run with a sponge filter. The tank is stocked as follows:

5 yoyo loaches (2 fully grown, 3 juveniles)
3 yellow rock kribensis females
2 Bolivian rams

The kribs and rams are fine in the 36; the loaches, once fully grown, may be a little cramped with that footprint. I have done my best to provide them with hiding space both on the bottom of the tank and with plenty of floating driftwood, but they can be extremely active. I am thinking that a 40g breeder tank would be ideal for these fish, as it provides a long swimming space for the loaches on the bottom and still accommodates the five cichlids. Any thoughts? I'm limited to about 40g max for the space in question, otherwise I would buy a 55g.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think that the 40g would work rather well, and should keep all cichlids happy in the larger footprint. Could also add some tetras/rasboras to add interest in the upper layer, or some gouramis.

nbalaw2016

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks, unfortunately my loaches really are very aggressive. They bothered a large blue gourami I had in the tank previously (now rehomed) as well as a school of not-small Millennium rainbowfish. They don't bother cichlids though, even the little rams; they were in a large cichlid tank at my LFS with some big and mean Jack Dempseys or something similar and I think they've learned that the cichlid profile isn't something they should mess around with.

Having said all that, thanks again, I think 40g breeder makes the most sense.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks, unfortunately my loaches really are very aggressive. They bothered a large blue gourami I had in the tank previously (now rehomed) as well as a school of not-small Millennium rainbowfish. They don't bother cichlids though, even the little rams; they were in a large cichlid tank at my LFS with some big and mean Jack Dempseys or something similar and I think they've learned that the cichlid profile isn't something they should mess around with.

Having said all that, thanks again, I think 40g breeder makes the most sense.
You'll probably find in larger aquariums, the loaches personally can differ. In quite a number of cases, the increase of tank size does wonders for reducing aggression.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom