Convert My 65g Freshwater Tank To Salt How Do I

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by OverSpun, Jun 13, 2018.

1. OverSpun

OverSpun New Member Member

I been searching the forum to get an idea and I read this thead: Converting Freshwater 125 gal tank to Saltwater Tank

I have Marineland 350 filter, 2 heaters, and obviously a light. Can this all be reused?

I’m trying to figure out how much the convert will cost.

TIA,

Nick

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I think that you should’ve posted this in the saltwater section to get more views from salt people on the forums.

@stella1979

3. OP
    OP
    OverSpun

OverSpun New Member Member

Ugh... haha. I was reading that forum and I made a mistake.

4. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Your filtration and heaters will be fine. Depending on if you want corals (and what type) your lighting may be an issue. Most marine lighting is 10,000K and most freshwater lighting is 6000K to 8000K. These spectrums are not ideal for most corals or for illuminating a marine tank properly.

All you'd really need, as a rule of thumb, is one pound of live sand and one pound of live rock per gallon. This will help create a cycle and form the basis of saltwater biological filtration. You can then use the 350 for chemical/mechanical filtration. I would also add some powerheads or circulation pumps to create more flow in the tank, as flow is more important in a marine setup than most freshwater setups.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice