Conure

Discussion in 'Birds' started by David C, Mar 21, 2010.

1. David CWell Known MemberMember

My wife has decided she MUST have a conure. We have been looking at the larger cages and we've contacted a breeder here in our state to see what they have available. It just seems absurd to me to spend $750 (Petco's prices) on a bird. Am I being unreasonable? I don't think anything will deter my wife from this one, after all she did say yes to my tank and I guarantee it's cost me more than a bird ever will :)

Is there anything I should look for when I go to the breeders house to look at birds? Any questions I should ask them? Any obvious signs that I should run for the door and never look back? What is a reasonable price to pay a breeder?

Thanks for any help,

Dave

2. Amanda

AmandaFishlore VIPMember

All I have to say is L-O-U-D.
    My friend has one, and I seriously want to strangle it everytime I go over there.

3. Prince Powder

Prince PowderWell Known MemberMember

LOL, any parrot species can be loud. But it does depend on the species as well. Sun Conures have a screech that would rival the largest macaw, as do Jendays. Green Cheek Conures on the other hand tend to be a bit more quiet. They're not as colorful as Suns or Jendays, but they are serious loveys! They also run a bit cheaper than the Suns or Jendays.

I had a Green Cheek once upon a time, she was so much fun. Any time ANYONE would get close enough she'd jump on them and just hitch a ride. She would grab onto your shirt with one foot and flip over and dangle. She would lay on her back in your hand with her little feet clamped to be pet. She also LOVED water. She would bathe in her water bowl every day and it got to the point where we would have to cage her to wash dishes because she would always jump in the dishwater. She was extremely friendly and playful and loved being with people. If I were to get another bird, it would definitely be a Green cheek conure!

4. lorabellWell Known MemberMember

What kind of conure is she hoping for????? Blue crowns are AWESOME!!!!! Excellant talkers.....make sure whatever u get is hand fed(most are these days).I have been owned by conures for ever....lol...none of them are outrageously loud screamers( Years ago I would have a conure because of this)...I really believe the hand-feeeding has helped this...not like the wild caught birds from years ago....If u can get your hands on one check out Bird Talk magazine (on line also I believe)....first and formost make sure about cleanliness....most breeders do not allow ANYONE near their breeding pairs at least the ones I know dont...so dont be alarmed about this...bird breeding is way different than say having dogs with puppies.....bird parents are way protective over their eggs and youngsters...especially the parrot type birds....most reliable breeders will not upset breeders(they usually have only 1 person allowed to even enter aviaries... for care and upkeep)...is it [possible for your wife to take the time to learn how to handfeed a baby???? and possibly finish weaning the baby herself(that sometimes helps with the price) a good breeder would also do that and also teach u how to do it....its a wonderful way to bond with a new baby also....PLEASE....if I can help in anyway let me know.....or any questions u may have...(30 plus years of being owned by birds!!!)...I hope some of this will help....also ask about a health guarantee

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  5. OP
    OP
    D

David CWell Known MemberMember

Unfortunately the "local" breeder is 1.5 hours away, so weening the bird ourselves wouldnt be possible. Thanks for the information about bird breeders. I would have taken it as a poor sign if I wasnt aloud around the parents, so I'm glad you set me straight. She isn't picky about the species yet, she wants to see what's available first and decide from there. She doesn't want to get her heart set on a bird we can't even find around here. (I don't think birds would FedEx well, lol)

Cages: We were looking at something like this

or this (the X-large)

Are we looking at too large cages or is more space optimal? We kind of think we would want a lot of space so that's why we were looking at these.

Thanks for all the help Lori, I really appreciate it. I was lucky enough to convince my wife that taking a few weeks to research the birds would pay off rather than buying one and the cage in the same day and no idea what we're doing.

Dave

6. Prince Powder

I would disagree with Lori on one point. IMO a good breeder would not sell a bird that was not fully weaned to about 99% of people. There's too much that could go wrong with hand feeding. Temps, aspiration, it takes someone who knows what they're doing to do it safely and a 5 minute crash course isn't going to properly train you on how to do it.

One other thing. If possible try to find a breeder who has weaned the bird onto a fresh food diet rather than a strictly pellet/seed diet. Seed should be given very sparingly as they are more fattening than anything else and will cause issues with overweight as well as fatty deposits in the blood stream. Pellets I generally leave out all the time, but the bulk of a birds diet should be a good blend of fresh vegetables and fruits.

As for the cages, much like tanks get the absolute biggest you can fit and afford. It is preferable that your bird does not spend their entire life in it's cage, but for the times when you can't watch the bird it is best to have it caged for it's own safety. Parrots will get into EVERYTHING!

7. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

In regards to finding a good breeder, I always look for breeders that are licensed with the state.

IMHO-I would not attempt hand-feeding myself. However, many people can and do and are successful with no issues.

In regards to cages, check and see if the breeder has one they'd be willing to sell you. I got a $400 cage for $100 that way. Or see if she can order you one or recommend the best place to find one. Breeders have access to deals that sometimes we can't find on our own. IMHO-Petsmart is way overpriced on their cages.

I will always recommend green-cheeks. if properly hand-raised and socialized, they make fabulous members to families. I'm currently owned by my second green-cheek. She's a bunch of fun (some of her antics are in my threads) and an absolute sweetheart when she's not causing trouble.

Blue-crowns are another of my all-time favs, but I have no experience being owned by one.

I hope this helps!

8. Prince Powder

You might also want to browse the net and bird magazines to see if there are any local bird fairs in your area. I got a very nice cage for far less than retail at one. It's also a good place to pick up toy parts. Bird toys are kind of pricey but you can save alot if you get parts in bulk and build your own.

As for the cages, the second one you posted would be ok, but if you can go bigger do so. Mine is about 26x20x35. The first wouldn't work because of the bar spacing. A conure could get it's head stuck between those bars. I prefer to keep my spacing at about 3/4-1 inch max.

This is almost identical to my cage, the only difference is the color and my food cups are reversed.  

9. Red1313

Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

I don't have any experience with birds, but I have to say PetSmart has a Dusky Conure that was hand weaned and every time I go in the store I have to stop and say hi. He's the sweetest thing, as soon as he sees you he climbs down from whatever he's doing and runs over to be "pet" through the glass. If I had the $800 for him plus whatever I needed for his cage he's be coming home with me.

10. lorabellWell Known MemberMember

Sorry....I was not saying to meerly have them just be shown how to handfeed and I certainly did not mean to imply a crash course in handfeeding....And having owned birds for over 30 plus years myself,knowing plenty of breeders,owning a pet store specializing in birds.....there are plenty of breeders who will take the time to TEACH someone how to handfeed their baby,and I beleive I did state reptuable breeders...a GOOD one would not allow someone to leave with a baby unless it was being done properly
    . that would also be something I would be looking for, U cannot explain every inch of birdcare in a single reply on a forumn...30 years plus and I am still learning...even with birds I have been owned by for over 20 years....I also offered any help they may need or maybe even answer a specific question...And they do also ship baby birds...I just helped a friend aquire a baby male eclectus from Missouri( of course individual states have different laws,rules etc)
    Before looking at cages...it would probably be better to decide on a species first...It is much easier to find a cage for the bird...than a bird to fit the cage

11. OP
    OP
    D

I found a breeder in Oklahoma that lives about 15mins from my sisters house, and since I'm going to be there for Easter...

I've looked over the birds the breeder has available, and she has a gorgeous pineapple mutation of a green cheek conure that was hatched last June. She keeps the birds multiple to a cage but handles them daily. Ive read they wont tend to bond as quickly if they were kept multiple to a cage, is this true? Will the bond grow as strong as one not kept this way? I think we already decided we definitely want a green cheek, I've read a lot of good things about them as a "starter" parrot, a little quieter and cuddly. We've found a decent deal at Petco for a store brand cage, it gives just under 9cu ft of interior space with a play thingy on top for only $300. Other cages this same size I've found were all in the $600-700 range.

I really appreciate all the help you guys are giving me. I'm not guaranteeing I'll be bringing a bird home on Easter, but we may need to make another trip down there if we find what we like or if we decide she is a quality breeder. My wife is getting pretty excited even though I'll be the one having to do all the work with the bird since she works quite a bit.

Dave

12. Fishies-for-meWell Known MemberMember

I ordered this cage from this site.....   The stated price of $149.00 includes shipping to your door. Mine took 6 days to arrive . I ordered 2 of them .. one in blue and one in green .. I have 2 budgies in one and a parrotlet in the other. They are VERY sturdy cages and measure 31 wide x 21 deep x 35 high not including the stand which is included in the price. Height on stand is 59 inches. I love these cages and they would be ideal for a conure. They are large...have 1/2 inch spacing , and are very sturdy to stand up to a conures rough chewing and bouncing around.

13. CHoffman

CHoffmanFishlore VIPMember

How fun. Green cheeks are soooo stinking cute. Nice to see another member from Kansas too!! What area of Kansas are ya from?

14. gremlin

gremlinWell Known MemberMember

Hand fed is definitely the way to go. Depending on the breeder and how much time they spend with the babies, it shouldn't matter if there is more than one in a cage. I am currently raising 2 lovebird babies. You can see the thread in the bird forum under Here We Go Again! If you can arrange to visit the breeder's often enough to hold and cuddle the babies available, it will help you to choose which one you want. Each baby will have it's own personality.

As for the cage, it needs to be at least large enough for the bird to fully stretch it's wings and flap without hitting the walls, any other perches, or any of the toys in the cage. Bigger is always better, but watch the bar spacing. I prefer 1/2 inch for anything smaller than an Amazon. It's just too easy for them to get their wings caught between the bars. They can also get their heads stuck. Another thing to watch for is in the corners or the edges - especially with the ones that have curved edges. Where the wire meets the curved edges the space between the wires can get very narrow. If the bird is climbing around and their foot or toe slides down between the wires it could get caught in the narrow spot.

15. OP
    OP
    D

CHoffman- I live in Junction City, whereabouts are you?

Thanks for the tips on the cages, that's definitely a nice cage Fishies-for-me. My problem is the bird will periodically be out in the living room with my dogs while I'm gone, not often but it is a situation that can come up. I want to make sure the cage is sturdy enough to tolerate any possible abuse the dogs can do. I'm confident this won't be a problem, but I would much rather be extra cautious than heart broken should there be a tragedy.

Gremlin, I'm actually following your other thread already, how can anyone resist such cute little birds :)

Dave

16. gremlin

gremlinWell Known MemberMember

I can easily - Lovebirds are too noisy for me as adults. They have a constant chatter that is fine outside (like my sister has) but that I don't care for. My personal pet bird of choice (for hand tamed ones) would be a Cockatiel. Of course, the only ones that I have personal experience with are Cockatiels, Lovebirds, and Budgies. The larger parrots are just too expensive for my wallet. Some of the conures and "pocket parrots" look adorable, and I'm kind of thinking it might be fun to have a green-cheek conure. Of course, as long as I'm taking care of my Mom, pet birds in the house are a no-no. She only allows the lovebirds because she knows they are temporary.

17. OP
    OP
    D

I couldn't handle anyone else setting rules in my house, I guess I've just lived on my own too long. My mom hates coming to visit because of my dogs, she hates dogs with a passion. Such is life though, we play the hand we're dealt.

Here is a picture of the birds that we are considering. We intend to only get one. They are already "step up" trained and they are handled daily. They hatched last June so that puts them about 10mos old. She said they are through the worst of the "beaky" stage so I'm happy about that. I hope we like them and they like us, I guess we'll find out soon enough. They're pineapple mutation green cheek conures.
    567.jpg

Dave

18. lorabellWell Known MemberMember

They r absolutly georgeous!!!!!!!! I know I couldnt resist!!!!!!!....Hey check out KingsCages.com......I use all of his cages......even their economy line are awesome!!!!!Very bird...and USER friendly!!!!!!!!.. check out the 22x17 for one individual....if u decide on 2 the next size up would be perfect..also very sturdy.....and way worth the $$$$$$$.......hers a couple of not so good pics....but u get the idea......I promise if u get one of these....U WILL NOT be buying a new cage in a year of so.......

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  19. Fishies-for-meWell Known MemberMember

What kind of dogs do you have?? These are VERY heavy duty and sturdy cages. I cannot imagine a dog being able to get into the easily. They would have to be a BIG dog and very intent on getting into the cage. They do not clip together like the flimsy petstore cages they screw together. They also have very nice closures for the door. Kinda like the old fashioned locks on the top of slide up windows. The only place a dog may get in is a small breeder door on the top side of the cage that can be zip tied shut so dogs and birdds cannot open them. Kings cages from what I have seen are also very nice and around the same quality as HQ cages. They are very sturdy but seem to be ( from my research) a bit more expensive. ... I do not think you would have trouble with either one of these type of cages.

P.S. My HQ cages weigh about 50 lbs with the stand.

20. CHoffman

CHoffmanFishlore VIPMember

We actually live west of Wichita about 70 miles. I am going to be buying a cage from someone in Junction city though. Funny. I've really never been up that way. I love the GCC's. Good luck with them. I've heard they are cuddle bugs!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice