Conure Toy Question

1. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I've seen a lot of bird breeders showing pictures of their baby birds with baby toys. Since conures like to chew on things and figure them out and pick things up with their feet, would baby toys (like teething rings-hard rubber or plastic) be harmful for them?

2. gremlin Well Known Member Member

You have to be careful what you get them since they can take chunks out of some of the toys. Hard plastic or hard acrylic would be okay, but they would need to be thick enough that they do not break when the conure wraps his beak around them. Clean wood toys - no paint - are fine, you can color them with kool-aid. That also add a bit of flavor to them. I like to get the unfinished wood pieces from a craft store. You can mix sugar free kool - aid and use it like paint or soak the pieces in it then let them air dry. Balsa wood and basswood (I get it at Ace Hardware) or craft sticks (from Walmart) are great for destroyable chewable toys. I like to use some of the dog toys too. They are designed to be chewed by animals, so they are a bit more sturdy than baby toys. Oh, and yes, I have dog toys in the toy box for my nieces and nephews to play with when they come over.

3. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Some fabulous ideas, Gremlin! That'll be a fun project for the holidays, too. Most of the "bird" toys they sell in stores are hang on the cage and there's not a lot of interactive toys for bonding and playing, so this will give us some more "quality time" toys.

Thank you:;hug2.

4. kelsangdol Member Member

My sun conure literally shreds his wood toys in a few months.
    So I don't think plastic things are safe... but I never tried plastics but I just want to make sure :)

5. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

What are your thoughts about hard rubber, like teething rings?

I made the mistake right after I brought him home of giving him a "ferret ball" with a bell inside. It took him two hours to figure out how to get the bell out. Thank goodness I was there when it happened, so I was able to remove all of the little pieces.

Anything like this would be for "supervised" playtime only outside of the cage if that helps at all. He has lots of toys and thinking toys inside his cage, but I'm trying to come up with some original ideas for playtime outside of the cage for bonding.

6. kelsangdol Member Member

I've never seen or had a rubber toy...but I guess they could be safe.
    http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=rubber+toy+birds&cid=16555413513610158318&sa=title#p
    I like this product...you can put food in it for your conure to try and eat. :)

7. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

He has that. It's one of his favorite toys. Great minds think alike:)

8. kelsangdol Member Member

haha! What were the odds! ;D

9. gremlin Well Known Member Member

I love the holl-ee roller balls. The come in a variety of sizes, are solid rubber so they are durable (and non-toxic), and the kids love them more than my dog does. They also come in different shapes. Some are round, some are foot ball shaped. Some are more solid with just holes punched out around. The larger ones you can use sort of like a gerbil ball - let the bird climb around inside and through the holes. Smaller ones you can teach birdie to play soccer with you, or put a treat inside and let birdie try to figure out how to get it out.

You can also get plastic chain in the parts section of bird toys on Drs Foster & Smith. With that, you can teach tug of war, or use it for climbing toys, or string some of the wood parts on it, or weave paper through the links for birdie to shred.

10. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

:;nw

Can I just say once again how honored I am to be part of such an awesome forum? You all come up with some FANTASTIC ideas that really help build on the bonds that I have with all of my animals.

I appreciate it very much:;thx