Controlling New Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chillin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Was wondering how long does it take for possible chlorine to evaporate sitting in 1gallon jugs, with the cap off...?
also about letting the water settle any 'hard/heavy' elements fall to the bottom, should they be kept with the water?
things to do with tap other than boil/evaporation and filters to let it 'stabilize' a day or so?

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Was wondering how long does it take for possible chlorine to evaporate sitting in 1gallon jugs, with the cap off...?
also about letting the water settle any 'hard/heavy' elements fall to the bottom, should they be kept with the water?
things to do with tap other than boil/evaporation and filters to let it 'stabilize' a day or so?
Overnight it will off gas

max h

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Chlorine will normally off gas in a day or so from a regular bucket, im not sure about a 1 gallon jug since there's very little surface area of water at the top of the jug. It would seem that a water conditioner like prime would be much better and easier.

Inactive User

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Short answer: you're better off just using water conditioner and adding tap water directly to the aquarium, rather than letting it sit and "age".

Long answer: from what I understand, chlorine will dissipate quite readily and often there's very little trace of it at the end of 24 hours. Chloramine is another issue as it can apparently take weeks to off-gas from water. Given that UV disinfection destroys chloramine, I would expect some incidental sunlight to help reducing chloramine.

Most heavy metals of concern (e.g. copper) exist in an ionised form as a solution, so they won't settle.

Side answer: At least in Australia, it seems that letting water sit overnight to "age" without the use of the chemical additives used to be quite popular. But I suspect to due to the increasing use of chloramines, most people are just content in using water conditioner and adding the water straight to the tank from the tap.

Chillin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
what about other chemicals in the water;
'fluoride' and ammonia in the water
will they 'gas' off as well?
for all my worrisome troubles, should I research and build kind of purification tank(s) with reverse osmosis and UV filtration? lol

alumina filters?

leftswerve

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You are better off using some kind of water conditioner at some point. There is nothing wrong with letting the water age with movement (aeration). Chloramine is the enemy and will not readily gas off.

Inactive User

Well Known Member
Reaction score
for all my worrisome troubles, should I research and build kind of purification tank(s) with and UV filtration? lol
For freshwater aquariums, I don't think it's necessary. Freshwater fish are somewhat picky about water parameters, but they're not that picky.

With marine aquariums, it seems that a large proportion of people either buy gallons of RO water from their LFS or they purchase a cheap-ish RO unit. Likewise, they install UV filtration (or ozone purification) as part of the sump system.

But overall, marine aquariums generally have lower volume water changes (perhaps 10-15% weekly) compared to freshwater aquariums (I water change 50% weekly due to EI fert dosing).

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For freshwater aquariums, I don't think it's necessary. Freshwater fish are somewhat picky about water parameters, but they're not that picky.

With marine aquariums, it seems that a large proportion of people either buy gallons of RO water from their LFS or they purchase a cheap-ish RO unit. Likewise, they install UV filtration (or ozone purification) as part of the sump system.

But overall, marine aquariums generally have lower volume water changes (perhaps 10-15% weekly) compared to freshwater aquariums (I water change 50% weekly due to EI fert dosing).
I actually treat my freshwater tanks more like marine tanks. Mostly because mine are 100 plus gallons and on sumps and i am not one to dose my tanks with any of the chemicals people seem to be using. I keep strict water chemistry control but im not a fan of chemical treatment. That is mostly because i know what it will do and i can do math.

Chillin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I do like the idea of no chemical treatment.. not sure what the chemicals will do but from what I understand some if not most are only temporary solutions resulting in the water transforming back to 'normal' state...
not aware of doing any slumps just trying to make sure what I might doing is alright..
running 10gallon tanks don't really require a slump in less ran threw the same system and then I see possible issues there.....
though i do have 2 heated going on a 3rd to fight ich(first 2 are breeding not ich)... slow dripping new water back in at room temp does not seem to be an issue though they seem know something is up

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I do like the idea of no chemical treatment.. not sure what the chemicals will do but from what I understand some if not most are only temporary solutions resulting in the water transforming back to 'normal' state...
not aware of doing any slumps just trying to make sure what I might doing is alright..
running 10gallon tanks don't really require a slump in less ran threw the same system and then I see possible issues there.....
though i do have 2 heated going on a 3rd to fight ich(first 2 are breeding not ich)... slow dripping new water back in at room temp does not seem to be an issue though they seem know something is up

Sump

And most of the chemical adds are like putting a bandaid on a chainsaw cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IDK - never used one before