controlling Marmokreb populations

1. ivonko Member Member

hey guys, so i found a offer online for 10 self cloning crayfish online for a great price, i have a 30 gallon tank and its a peaceful species so im not worried about space, what im worried about is reproduction. i know these are known to reproduce like crazy, and that they dont eat their young so chances of young thriving is pretty high. i dont want my tank to be overpopulated by these crayfish so im curious as to how i can control there population.

i will also speak with my lfs to see if they would be interested in buying them from me but that is doubtful.

any advise will be gratefully accepted. if there is no way then i just wouldnt get them.

thanks

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

If you can find someone who has cichlids large enough to eat the babies, that would be best.

3. ivonko Member Member

i wonder if the cichlids would eat the adults as well? if not maybe i should just get some of them to control my in tank population?

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

They would when the cray molts, but the cray could eat them while they sleep.

I'm sure they will cannibalize each other once the population gets out of hand.

5. ivonko Member Member

they are a lot less likely to cannibalize than other crayfish species unfortunantly. they only grow to a max of 2.5 inches so its highly unlikely that they can take down a fish the size of an average cichlid. i think most omniverous fish would be interested in baby crayfish as a meal would they not?

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

That will depend on how much you feed them :)

I think lots of fish would be happy to eat baby crayfish - the babier the better ;)

7. ivonko Member Member

hmm tempting... lol yummy snacks for my fish and a crayfish for me haha