Controlling Green Hair Algae?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by New Fish in Town, Apr 6, 2017.

1. New Fish in TownWell Known MemberMember

I have a 20 gallon top fin starter kit. I replaced the LED light lid with the Marineland 24" Plant LED. Ever since then I have had green algae growing everywhere. I've heard adding CO2 will help. Is that true? What about adding more plants?

2. Lorekeeper

LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

Hair Algae usually takes over a tank due to an imbalance.

Do you dose ferts? Root tabs?

CO2 is part of that balance, but you may not need it. We need to know your ferts first.

Adding more plants would help, but I suggest figuring out what you've got before adding more.

3. OP
    OP
    N

New Fish in TownWell Known MemberMember

I use Flourish, Iron, and Excel when I change my water once a week. I've cut down on the amount of time the light is on to about 7 hours. I have Red Ludwigia, so I need more than LED lights. The water company and the aquarium test strips both say my water is very hard. I need the light, but I also need to get rid of most of the green algae it is causing to grow.

4. Lorekeeper

LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

Okay, so I'd say cut your dosing back by half for a few weeks until the algae dies off a bit.

Split your lighting period up across the day. So if you want to do 7 hours, do a couple of hours in the morning, 3 more in the afternoon, and then 2 in the evening. Algae can't adapt to that kind of photo period, and it kills it pretty quickly.

If you're using Excel, then adding real CO2 wouldn't help with algae (although real CO2 is better).

If there's a huge amount of hair algae on the glass/decor/substrate, you can remove all of the water from the tank, and then use Hydrogen Peroxide and a Q-Tip to swab the algae in peroxide, which effectively kills it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice