Controlling And Getting Rid Of Bba

Gersh

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey everyone,

I have an outbreak of suspected BBA. I did some searches in various forums and other places, but no one seems to know what the cause is or a good way to get rid of it.

The current set up is:
Any tips on what might be the cause of it's continued spread or how to get rid of it would be awesome.

Nataku

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You most likely have more nutrients available than the plants are consuming. The excess is being eaten by the bb and allowing it to grow.
Cut back on your ferts for a month or two and you should see the bba start shrinking and fading.

OP
Gersh

Gersh

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Nataku said:
You most likely have more nutrients available than the plants are consuming. The excess is being eaten by the bb and allowing it to grow.
Cut back on your ferts for a month or two and you should see the bba start shrinking and fading.
Even with only dosing a little excel once or twice a week?

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its probably the proportion of root tabs to plants that causing the issue, excel is a good algaecide. I would suggest spot dosing the BBA with excel (turn a nice red/pink colour if successful) and maybe consider upping water changes (volume or amount) to remove nutrients from the water column.

New Threads