Contradictory ideas on lighting

1. Janmitch22 Member Member

I remember a long time ago there was a question about incandescent vs. fluorescent lighting. And with that in mind, I went to Wal-Mart, looking for something to buy; they had a specifically plant growth-enhancing bulb that was incandescent. Isn't that bad? The heat, the cheapness, all of that? As I furrowed my brow in confusion, I remembered that I just read another post on here in which someone said that incandescent bulbs will just heat your water and suck up your electricity, and that fluorescent was the best of the two choices.

But now there's an incandescent growth-enhancing bulb out there, and I'm totally thrown off again. Can anyone set me straight?

2. Jason Well Known Member Member

The Icandescent bulb may help to grow the plants but a fluoresecent fitted with a plant growing fluorescent tube is much better, no heat, better light, I'd say better growth, low wattage. More money but a much better growth. I suggest you read https://www.fishlore.com/aquarium_light.htm

3. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

ya there was a post by me about the two types of bulbs just look down a little more in the plant section and you should find it

4. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

I have never heard of incandescent bulbs for growing plants. But it appears they exist. Interesting. But if I had to choose myself over an incandescent and a fluorescent, I'd definitely go for a fluorescent, even at a greater price. From what I hear, incandescents really do heat up the water and use up much more electricity than fluorescents do. I think incandescents are mainly for terrariums, reptile tanks, etc ... Perhaps they're for plants in reptile tanks that are not fully submerged? (Just a guess.)

P.S. Is this the post you were talking about? https://www.fishlore.com/Forum/index.php?topic=553.0

5. Janmitch22 Member Member

Ya, that's totally the post I was referring to...I had to research to even find the response I gave you, so remnants of it stuck in my mind.

6. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

The "plant growth" thing was probably just some marketing thing. In my opinion incandescent lights are junk--they produce more heat and less light. ('you get what you pay for') ;)

7. vin Well Known Member Member

The issue with incandescent lamps is that it's much more difficult to find proper color and temperature. They also have a much shorter life than a fluourescent lamp.

A good broad spectrum fluorescent lamp should be relatively easy to find and will offer the best combination for growth for both the fish and the vegetation in the tank.

8. Jon Well Known Member Member

Incandescents put off like 1/10 the light of flourescent or something... i forget i posted something on this subject a while ago... dont buy incandescents though they are not effective and put off too much heat... Flourescents and VHO/HO or power compacts will be good for growing plants... depending on how much light the specific plants need

if you are doing this for a reef tank with stony corals that require more light you might need metal halides or multiple power compact tubes

9. nap83 Initiate Member

whatever a label says, an incandecent bulb will now grow ANY plants, it just doesn't have power to do that. if you have an incandecent outlet, your better off buying spiral flourescents found in home depot, they're 6 for $10. i use them in my nano planted tank and gives me 3 watts oer gallon. incadecents just heat up your aquarium and costs so much to run.