Continuous Water Testers Question 

mattmf1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hello again all,

I have seen forms of water quality meters that go in the water and continually monitor some of the parameters(I forget which ones).

My question is if anyone uses these or any time of full time water checking device.

Thanks in advance.

-Matt

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI Matt.

I've never heard of this. But I'm relatively new to fishkeeping (5 years). I don't know how something like that would work, since when we do our testing, we have to add liquids from a variety of bottles.

Do you have a link or something where you found this information? x

phishyitis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I used the ammonia ones and in my opinion they are worthless.By the time they would register ammonia your fish will already be in distress.It would show 0 ammonia and I would test with a liquid test kit and it would register ammonia.There is no substitute for testing at regular intervals with a liquid test kit.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've read good reviews for seachems ammonia alert but I've never used it personally, I just test weekly or anytime the fish look stressed.

gokaran

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I Have Seachem Ammonia Alert. I use it as an early warning System

I can't really comment on its effectiveness. I have never had an ammonia problem(hug a tree)

my kit tests always show zero ammonia( verified with reference tests)

pepetj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I use Seachem's ammonia and pH alerts. The ammonia alert I use in tanks that are overstocked where disrupted cycle would create massive problems. They are not fast to reset to zero but they do detect quite well when ammonia is present in the system. It works both in freshwater and Saltwater. I like this device when I am cycling a new tank. It gives a continuous reading of ammonia concentration which makes monitoring the cycle quite easy and fast.

The pH alert, on the other hand, is only for freshwater. It barely last two months (at least in my settings) and I don't consider them reliable other than indicating acidic (yellowish) versus alkaline (reddish). To distinct the neutral 7.0 pH (orange) from either end is, at least for my eyes, impossible. In tanks were pH is at risk of crashing due to on the edge KH, or in those where acidic or alkaline water is a must, this device might do the work. I use it in my Apistogramma, Rams, and Cardinal tanks.

I have electronic testers that are sold as "monitors". This is misleading since the manual of those instrument state, in small letters, that it's best if used as any other tester instead of continuous use. I have a Nitrate and Salinity monitors from PinPoint. I believe they are way too delicate and prone to loose calibration so I have to spend quite some time calibrating with reference solutions to have somewhat reliable and valid readings. I believe Milwaukee makes fairly good pH (and other variables) monitors but I haven't tried them.

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

mattmf1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
so the bottom line is, none of them are as effective as regular testing with a good kit.

coffeebean

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have them in most of the tanks. it gives me peace of mind so I'm not testing the water daily...touch of OCD perhaps? lol. I do not rely on them though, I still test with a proper test kit.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads