Continue ich treatment?

Chris1212

20g, all my water tests are good, 3 male swordtails, 2 male platy. I have completed two courses of nox ich (3 days on, one day off), done multiple water changes, and my temp sits mid 81 degrees fahrenheit. All of the spots are gone (see before and after pic of same fish) but should I continue with another course of the meds because of the ich lifecycle? Should I continue higher temp but move to adding salt?

IMG_20200911_151931.jpg

IMG_20200917_160303.jpg

Chris1212

I'm probably going to default to one more three day treatment and hope the fish tolerate it

GlennO

He’s looking good but I think your concern is valid, 3 days treatment does not seem long enough to be certain of eradication. As long as all fish coped well with the initial treatment I would do another 3 day course following a water change. You shouldn’t need any concurrent heat or salt treatment.

Chris1212

Thanks. Just to be clear because my initial post wasn't, I did one 3 day treatment then off day, then another three day treatment, tomorrow would be the off day and water change. Day after tomorrow, I'd start the third three day treatment.

GlennO

How long since you've seen any visible spots?

Chris1212

A few days. They responded right away to the meds, but I also know spots going away isn't the end of the parasite lifecycle

GlennO

If they coped well with the meds I think it's safe to do another round if you have concerns. If you notice any signs of stress do a water change and add some carbon.

Chris1212

Sounds like a plan, other than the blue water, no complaints with the medicine so far

Top Bottom