Contemplating some stocking changes 40 Gallon Tank

1. Watehobit Member Member

I have a 40 gallon aquarium. https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-aquarium-builds/168492-new-40-gallon-underway.html

Currently it is stocked with:
    5-7 harlequin rasboras
    5 brilliant rasboras
    5 kuhli loaches
    6 trilineatus cories
    8 praecox rainbows
    3 pearl danios
    1 male swordtail

I am considering culling some of the stock, probably the danios and swordtail. They just don't seem to fit with the tank. I also am thinking about getting a few more harlequins to boost the ranks (I used to have 10), and I am playing with the idea of adding a single angel.

Does anyone forsee a problem with adding an angel to the current stock? I am not worried about the rasboras and rainbows, they can move pretty quick, and have sufficient numbers to feel secure. I am mostly concerned about the cories and loaches, although the loaches have plenty of hiding places, especially under the rock pile. Will an angel ignore my cories?

Also, how well would an angel navigate my driftwood? There would be plenty of room for it to swim around it, I am just afraid that it will do something stupid and try to swim past one of the more gnarly sections and hurt itself. Do you think this would be safe?

Finally, I admit that I have not done much of any research on angelfish. I know they are not schooling fish, but is a single angel fine? Which gender would be best?

2. 19jimmy17 Member Member

I would say No I haven't owned angle fish but I know people post these question quite often and the response are usually it's just not enough space for the angle fish.

3. Ryba Initiate Member

I would have to agree on rehoming the danios and swordtail, maybe even one of your other schooling fish, because it is on the overstocked side. I would also say no to the angelfish since the rainbowfish are active and might spook the angel. However, someone more experienced should also put their two cents.