Contemplating a new shrimp only tank.

Justmecb75

Looking for ideas to scape a shrimp only 20 gallon. I have a few ghosts and amanos and tons of orange clear in a 65. Thinking about getting larger centerpiece fish in 65 and would need to rehome the smaller orange ones to do so. The tank would be shrimp with tetras only for stock. I have sand and some wood for start. Live plants I am not sure. Should I carpet bomb for grass with those? Do not want to require co injection. Have some Japenese clover they really seem to like in an upper floating canopy currently. Maybe grass lower and that for upper? Sword grass in the 65 is not thriving so maybe move that? Any ideas welcome just starting with brainstorming with what I have.

FinalFins

Pearlweed. Lots of it. Great filler plant and good for hiding shrimplets. I am attempting a small carpet of it without Co2 in one of my tanks, it grows well but at a slower pace than I would like.

Justmecb75

I saw that does not need co. It will carpet over the driftwood too correct? No need to clean substrate? Will it work with sand or gravel better?

FinalFins

I saw that does not need co. It will carpet over the driftwood too correct? No need to clean substrate? Will it work with sand or gravel better?
I don't think it will carpet over driftwood, it is a stem plant so it needs some sort of substrate..

I plant my pearlweed half an inch apart, and it does catch some debris but that just may be specific to my scenario as I have a substrate with broken down leaves mixed in.

I cannot comment on gravel vs sand, mine is rooted in flourite capped with play sand, but ideally any substrate with nutrients whether it be aquasoils or root tabs will suit fine.

GlennO

I find that various mosses and guppy grass is great for shrimp to hide in and it makes the substrate a non issue since none of them need to be rooted in it. You can do a great looking shrimp tank without any stem plants.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kluggy
Replies
Views
BottomDweller
Replies
Views
Donovan Jones
Replies
Views