Container Pond

Discussion in 'Ponds' started by Fishbeard, Apr 23, 2017.

1. FishbeardValued MemberMember

Hey all,

So as a summer project I'm looking to set up a container pond in my parent's backyard. It would be a combo of my dad's garden/plant hobby and my fish/plant hobby, so it's perfect! Running into a couple decisions and problems getting started, so came here for a little help!

#1: What type of container? I've been looking around online with mixed results. Some use galvanized tubs, others use plastic tubs and others use fancy garden pots! We're looking to be around the 30-40 gallon range, any suggestions? Below are a couple links that I've been considering...

Amazon.com : Behrens 7 35-Gallon Round Steel Tub : Planters : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Amazon.com : Tuff Stuff Products KMT102 Oval Tank, 30-Gallon : Patio, Lawn & Garden

#2: Filtration: Thinking about creating a bog filter, where I pretty much just pump water into a pot with bog plants, which then waterfalls into the rest of the container. Does that seem enough for the body of water, or too little? I have extra air pumps and water pumps, so many things would be possible!

#3: Stocking: I showed my dad White Cloud Mountain Minnows, and he thought they would be neat. Any other fish that anyone recommends for a 30-40 gallon volume? We live in Wisconsin, so it would have to be able to handle some temperature variations...

#4: Cover: This will be in my parents shady backyard, so I'm not too concerned with overheating in the sun, but it will need cover from predators (raccoons etc). Any suggestions that wouldn't make it just an eyesore?

This is an ongoing project, so will be looking for advice for quite awhile here! Thanks for any pointers or advice in advance!

2. Bruxes and BubblesWell Known MemberMember

In the 30-40 gallon range, you're looking more at plastic tubs.

I have no experience with bog filters so I can't answer that.

Hardy small fish are going to include mosquitofish and rosy red minnows. I have not tried white clouds in my own pond quite yet, so I cannot comment there.

Maybe some netting of some sort?

3. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

Menards usually has this one in stock. I had it in my family room at one time housing a turtle. I had it wrapped in burlap and set house plants around it. Your dad could do some gardening things around it. It pretty shallow but it has a good size foot print if you're putting fish in it.

4. JRSWell Known MemberMember

We made a pond out of cedar and lined it and the garden side with pond liner.. Saw it on pinterest and doubled the size. It looks better now, you can see the sand. I don't know anything about bog filters, I just have a pump with a large sponge filter around it. We don't have fish, we have local tree frogs that like to lay eggs in it. I think it is about 40 gallons. 20170410_152617.jpg

5. FishbeardValued MemberMember

That sounds like an awesome turtle pond! Do you have any pics?

My dad is looking for something a little more oval/circular, but will keep this idea stored away for a later date! Do you have to support the weight around the pond, or could it stand on the bottom?

I like it! I will have to work on something like this for awhile (I'm not very handy, but learning quickly!), and have it ready to go for next summer! If you have a link for the pintrest, that might be helpful!

It's good to know that a sponge filter would work for something like this... I'm using those in all my tanks, so I can set that up no problem, even if it is in addition to another filter.

6. JRSWell Known MemberMember

Tomorrow during the daylight I can get a better picture now that the water isn't black from rotting plants after the winter thaw. I should be able to find the pinterest link. Never thought to put fish in it. We built if for the tree frogs. They were living in a large umbrella stand for years after the umbrella broke, so we finally decided to put something nice on the deck. If I can find a summer picture you can see it planted.

7. JRSWell Known MemberMember

I am not sure if I am allowed to put the link here? If it doesn't work it is from bhg.com and labeled diy-pond-box. You search that website or diy-pond-box on pinterest I would imagine. We didn't build it exactly as they did and we added liner instead of using a sealant. We used 1x6 cedar decking board as they are much cheaper than 1X8 clear cedar that they used and we wanted it deeper.

8. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

No support needed on that. It slightly goes out at the top but it has a large enough base. I wish I did have pictures. :( It's probably been twenty years since I had that set up inside. I miss Indy (My Indonesian pond turtle) He was black with white on his neck. He was beautiful. Have never been able to find another.

9. FishRFriendzWell Known MemberMember

Bury it, or build a display box around it.

Kinda sad how they're priced as much as glass aquariums on sale.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  10. FishbeardValued MemberMember

Thanks for the links!

So are you saying that I should line a stock tank like the one you linked? Or would it be safe to simply use the tank alone, without a liner?

Also, I noticed for $70, you can get a 110g stock tank... sort of the opposite of glass tanks! As the gallons go up, the price goes down!

11. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

Yeah, I have a 120 gal in my garage storing sports equipment that I used to over winter talapia from my pond. Very reasonable at Farm&Fleet (or tractor supply or whatever ag supply store you have around.)

12. FishbeardValued MemberMember

We've got one of those around, I'll have to head over there in the next few days then, see what they've got.

13. FishRFriendzWell Known MemberMember

You don't need to line a stock tank and the first link is a hard plastic liner itself so there's no need for further lining. I'm just saying that if you want it to look nice you might build a little wood box around it, or put it in the ground and decorate it like a regular pond.

Personally I use a whiskey barrel planter from Home depot, which is about 13-15 gallons. The whiskey barrel planters look nice on their own so no further work aside from the filling and growing whatever. And I have another container that is about 27g. I might go to 40 at some point if my lotus/lily growing attempts are successful.

At the large end is where the value is at, but could be a lot of work.

14. vernonRSANew MemberMember

You have not mentioned what temps occur in your part of the world. I experimented with a stock tank dug into the ground . The deeper the better I found. As a rough rule, Geothermal properties of the earth c..an "warm / insulate" the water contained in the pond. Obviously the ratio of surface area to total volume is important but the stock tanks sold have proportions that limit the air temp influence over the body of water. The air temp above the ground surface only influences the top 200mm (8 inches) temp of the ground and pond water. Below this the the ground temp influences the water. I found ponds of similar dimensions alongside one another but of varied depth (500mm VS 320mm) had the deeper pond warmer by 1,5 deg C (16,5 deg C Vs 15 deg C ) at first light as a regular occurance during our winter.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  15. vernonRSANew MemberMember

The ponds contained Rosy Barbs, Golden Barbs, Odessa Barbs, white cloud mountain fish, pearl danio's and mosquito fish. Come Spring I noticed splinters moving around the clumps of hornwort. I netted out those which i first noticed and placed in a 10g nursery crate and gradually they revealed themselves as a number of Rosy Barbs and a single white cloud mountain fish. I noticed more "splinters" but left those in the pond. The majority of these turned out to be Golden Barbs.

16. FishRFriendzWell Known MemberMember

I have to winterize at the end of autumn before cold weather sets in, tho I may leave some plants out and see how they overwinter.

17. FishbeardValued MemberMember

The temps in the summer can reach 100 degrees F, and dip as low as around 50 or 60 on cold days. So it would be really pretty important that the fish could handle at least a little bit of sway in temp, even if the water insulates a bit.

18. FishbeardValued MemberMember

Does anyone have experience with other fish for a stock tank pond? I would like to do the white cloud mountain minnows, but it would be good to have a few options to think about!

I also do not have a plan for a cover yet, any ideas?

19. chadoNew MemberMember

Do you have tank space available for winter? I'd choose something that will be fun when you bring them inside!
    I did plaited in a pond once. And I think I had a couple paradise fish in there too. Those were cool when they'd come out of their hiding spots.
    One of these days I'm going to set up something like this with killifish. Just haven't gotten around to it yet!

Look into setting up an aquaponic type set up to incorporate the plants. Same basic concept as a big filter. But researching it could give you some good ideas.
    Have fun with your project! Make sure to post pics!

20. Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

There is a youtube video series by the Pond Digger about creating a patio pond with a bog filter that you might find helpful. I watched it just because I was interested in creating a patio pond eventually.
    Good luck!

Also - from the reading/youtube watching I have done it sounds like having a fish cave/tube or ledge for the fish to hide in when a predator comes really helps.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice