Contagious, Deadly

1. cameronpalte Member Member

9-1-1 Contagious, Deadly

So at first I thought this was just my tank cycling with fish (forgot to fishless cycle). Then things have started to get weird at I am 99% sure they have a deadly parasite. I have lost 75-90% of my stock and 100% of certain species with all remaining fish exhibiting symptoms. I will put the symptoms and hopefully someone can help me.

slightly red gills
    always staying at surface of water
    white stringy poop
    loss of coloration
    lack of appetite (occasionally)
    very weak swimming, small current pushes
    rotting fins (treated for fin rot, nothing)

And, I was unfortunate to see one of my fish die and be able to do nothing to stop it but gave me some more symptoms.

swimming upside down alive sinking very slowly
    gills rapid then slowing down to nothing

Water Levels:
    all 0

Edit: 1 more guppy death. New symptoms have surfaced. Black mark appears above belly and appears to eat downwards. Black dashes on top of head (not sure if this is a symptom). Please reply ASAP with disease and treatment possibilities if nothing occurs they will all die. They have 12-24h tops probably.

Edit 2: Please reply on any thoughts! New symptom. Their poo is not as much white and stringy, there some brown like normal poo but their are odd lumps in it.

Edit 3: 2 more longfin zebra danio deaths only survivers are 3 platies and 2 guppys and 1 swordtail all of which seem very sick.

2. cameronpalte Member Member

Mass Memorial- Lack of Quarantine

Due to me not using a quarantine coupled with some other stress factors I put my fish through (it was kind of all my fault) one of the catfish had a disease, highly contagious still not sure what it is. Now I have lost 80% of all my fish and the rest will die soon unless I can identify and treat the disease. RIP fish, and if only I had quarantined the catfish...

3. Borisbbadd Guest

That's really rough, sorry about your losses.....:(

4. cameronpalte Member Member

Its ok, thanks for the support.

5. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm so sorry for your loss Cameron.
    :(

6. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry that you lost all those fish, its never easy as we try so hard to give them good homes. Hopefully things get better for you and you can work thru this. Live and learn.

7. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Ah i am so sorry for your losses.

Sometimes we make mistakes, we're not perfect.

Yup, live and learn.

8. cameronpalte Member Member

Thanks for all the support guys really appreciate it. I have to add a female guppy and 2 gold longfin zebra danios to the list. I only have 6 fish left most of which will be gone in 24 hours.

9. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Oh, that's awful! This practically sounds like columnaris- it spreads fast and kills within about a day. I had it once, it really stunk, but it looks like I got off easy compared to you.

10. cameronpalte Member Member

Thanks for the support. I researched it and I don't think its columnaris it seems a lot worse, and I have treated for broad range infections.

11. GemstonePony Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry about your fish! In what way does it seem "not as bad as Columnaris"? It doesn't get much worse. The stuff can kill in hours, before symptoms can even appear, is extremely contagious, what symptoms appear can be stomach-churning (rapid fin-rot, disintegrating mouth, fluffy/slimy covering, rapid decomposition after dying, the list goes on). If your fish are displaying any of these symptoms, or dying without any symptoms, you may want to rethink your non-diagnosis.

12. cameronpalte Member Member

I am sure it is not columnaris because I don't have any disintegrating mouth, fluffy slimy covering, I only have fin rot and rapid death and not even fin rot, just death without symptoms.

13. escapay Well Known Member Member

I'm very sorry for your loss. :(

RIP fishies.

14. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I have merged two of your threads both dealing with the same tank and disease issues.

Ken:animal0068:

15. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hey Cameron,
    This is the ultimate definition of "sucks".

I know I've been a little hard on you, but I know you've done everything you could. If you've been caught out by columnaris - wow, you couldn't have prepared for it.

I've never qt'd, and probably dumb luck has meant I still have stock. Even my reef, no resident was qt'd (mind you, Australian Customs requires a qt period before sale)

I feel for you mate, this sucks.

I'm still gonna ride you like a circus ride for patience etc, but you've got my empathy. :console:

16. cameronpalte Member Member

Thanks again for all the support guys, and ryan one day I'll learn about patience:).

Yes, they have columnaris. I double checked and am nearly 90% sure about this. It seems really advanced or pretty advanced for the 5 fish left, but I have double treated with melafix and pimafix and they seem to be slightly improving. Annoying diseases...

17. greenbeanette Member Member

If it is columnaris, mela/pimafix is not going to be effective, they are too weak. I would try treating with maracyn and maracyn 2 together.

18. cameronpalte Member Member

Don't maracyn and maracyn 2 (well I think maracyn) destroy your filter bacteria? Anyway, from what I've heard those 2 are the most effective so I don't need bacteria if I have no fish left, I can worry about bacteria later.

Can these be found at my regular pet co as I am planning on making a stop there tonight.

19. greenbeanette Member Member

Petco should have them. You can pick up a bottle of Tetra Safe Start as well if you are worried about losing your cycle.

20. SJ408 Initiate Member

^^ Tetra safestart is a pretty decent product. It's worked well for me.