Constructive Criticism

LaniKai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Just as a warning I’m still fairly new to fish so try to get another opinion on this. The zebra loach, kuhli loach, clown loach, and Cory catfish are all schooling fish so you should have 6+ of each. I think the common pleco gets to big for that tank but I’m not completely sure. I would recommend going either the angelfish or the discus but not both. I don’t know enough about the other fish to know if the are compatible or not.

Bradley Moles

Valued Member
Reaction score
The angel fish and discus came with the tank, they have shown no aggressive towards eachother but I assume they were raised together. Also, I’m aware they like their friends. But 6+ seems like a lot. I have read 3-5. I have no problem getting 3 more kuhli’s, another cory or two, and a couple to 3 more zebra, but I will leave the clowns at 3 because they get large. I’d hate to fill the entire tank with bottom feeders

Kylee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I love blood parrots so much. I lost mine awhile back and I still miss him!! They have so much personality, I swear he paid more attention to me than the other fish at times.

The only problem that I see is your plecos. I think one would be fine, but two is a little iffy. They just get so big and produce so much waste. They can grow over a foot easily. I would try to get rid of one or both if you can and do research on smaller ones. There are multiple cool looking plecos that stay under 6 inches, and you could get a couple of them because they'd have plenty of room to find their territory. I love my bristlenose, he keeps my 55g algae free. But if you can't get rid of them I would just try to keep up with frequent water changes, every couple weeks or so.

I've read that 3-4 corys is perfect, and I have 3 who are perfectly happy together. So I'd just focus on getting a few more kuhlis and zebras. I completely understand not wanting to get more clowns, they do get large. I think 3 will be fine.

Definitely be open to more opinions because I've only been doing this for 3 years.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Rehome the kuhlis, get a few more for the shoal of cories.
The common plecos often do get too larger for a tank this size (in not just length but they fact that they will rearrange the tank and if you have two males the space will not be big enough for them, there are prettier plecos that remain smaller and less likely to destroy the tank or tank scape).
When the sharks mature they will likely go after each other.
The discus are a shyer type of fish so the more boisterous parrot, eba, and loaches likely will keep them from being fully interactive with you and may cause them to later avoid coming out to get food. Angels and discus are generally good together, but angels normally are more aggressive and can be almost unmanageable if you end up with a pair.
The parrot, if it has a functioning or partially functioning mouth, can become a bully that the other fish will avoid or even hide from.
The raphael cat might eat the kuhli loaches and anything smaller than its mouth, the one i currently have ate a smaller (around two inch) african cichlid, it isn't even four inches long.
The clown loaches do get big, they are of a similar shape to the rainbow sharks so they sharks may take offence to them once they mature, I would figure out which fish you like best an stock for them.
The cories shoal could use another 2-4 cories in it, of the same species that can handle the warmer water that the other species you have need.

Some other plecos you can look at in trade of the commons are phantoms, rhino pleco, and gold nugget (there are three types of those).

Just because a fish came with a tank does not mean you have to keep those fish and be forced to stock around them. Many of your fish don't really match up with how big they get versus their attitude versus how territorial they can be.

Bradley Moles

Valued Member
Reaction score
My Raphael is about 4 inches and never messed with the Kuli’s even in the 30 gallon. He is kind’ve sluggish and the Kuhli’s are very quick. They have plenty of hiding spots incase anything happens. Good advice on the pleco and I think I will get rid of the smaller one once it grows up a bit(or I feel like I can catch him easily). I have a 180 gallon native tank he can go to. The other one is probably 6 or 7 inches and he’s in a 25 Gallon tank. I am saving him from that mess for my girlfriend but she won’t let me get rid of it. I know corries like to be social but why don’t you think 4 is enough? Th BP was kind’ve a bully in the 30 gallon but he has been fine in the 125. His mouth is pretty deformed because he has to suck his food in. Angel fish are very unaggressive(I thought they would be meaner also)

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The Discus need very warm water, I'm talking like 82+. The Electric blue Rams also thrive at this temp. Many of your other fish need much cooler temperatures. Also, those clown loaches are going to occupy the entire bottom when full grown to a foot each.

Bradley Moles

Valued Member
Reaction score
Did some quick research and almost everything in the tank has tolerences up to 85 degrees and most prefer it aroun 82 degrees. Should I bump the heater up to 82?

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bradley Moles said:
My Raphael is about 4 inches and never messed with the Kuli’s even in the 30 gallon. He is kind’ve sluggish and the Kuhli’s are very quick. They have plenty of hiding spots incase anything happens. Good advice on the pleco and I think I will get rid of the smaller one once it grows up a bit(or I feel like I can catch him easily). I have a 180 gallon native tank he can go to. The other one is probably 6 or 7 inches and he’s in a 25 Gallon tank. I am saving him from that mess for my girlfriend but she won’t let me get rid of it. I know corries like to be social but why don’t you think 4 is enough? Th BP was kind’ve a bully in the 30 gallon but he has been fine in the 125. His mouth is pretty deformed because he has to suck his food in. Angel fish are very unaggressive(I thought they would be meaner also)
They do better in larger groups of the same type. The only group I have in a smaller number is my mixed group that I am trying to get out of my house, they aren't very playful, they aren't very active, and they mostly hang out in the shade where they think it is safest, they are a group of three (was four, but that didn't change how they acted).
My peppered cories, habrosus, pygmies, and albino/bronze group are some of my most active and they have 7-14 members in their groups.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A 125 for a common pleco is about as small as Id go. I definitely wouldnt do 2 in there. They WILL get so big that their head will bump the front glass as their tails drag the back glass.

Discus like VERY warm water and are almost always kept alone.

The clown loaches, discus and angels all get massive. They all prefer larger groups and big tanks. I wouldnt keep more than 2 together at once and Id do them in much larger groups. Angels get aggressive in small numbers.

There are some minor temp issues as others have pointed out. You can keep most fish at relatively similar temps, but that doesnt mean its what they prefer.

In a 125, Id have 2 dozen corys, or kuhlis. Thats a big tank and theyre small fish. The larger the water, the larger the group. I have 8 corys in one of my 20 gallon tanks right now that also has 2 German Blue Rams and 15 Black Neons.

You have a lot of different fish, a lot of small groups and not a ton of room in that tank for everything. Id pick a few you really like and go with it. Like maybe 15 Angels, 2 dozen corys and a pleco. That would be cool.

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Remove the rainbow sharks. They get very aggressive as they age. Espically around others. Add more zebra loaches, kuhli loaches, Cory cats and more clown loaches. Or get rid of some and upgrade the schools.

Bradley Moles

Valued Member
Reaction score
Sarah73 said:
Remove the rainbow sharks. They get very aggressive as they age. Espically around others. Add more zebra loaches, kuhli loaches, Cory cats and more clown loaches. Or get rid of some and upgrade the schools.
Good advice, definitely no room for more clown loaches. I like the rainbow sharks because they are very fast swimmers and I like their colors, if I got rid of them is there anything else that Icould substitute them with.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IMHO you'll have too many bottom dwellers all competing for food & that will be at the expense of the kuhli's. Also all those fish aren't temperature compatible & you have some species that will outgrow your tank pretty quickly.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom