Construction Questions: Indoor Raised Pond Construction W/ Viewing Window

Zach B.

Valued Member
Reaction score
I want to build a pond in my basement for freshwater fish and stingrays. For ease of construction I want to build it with outside dimensions of 8 foot x 4 foot x 4 foot. The challenge is I also want as large of a viewing window on the front. I would also like to have a polished beveled exposed top edge glass but if I can make the window bigger by having the top framed I would like that more. So my ideal front would be open top glass with a 6" rim on the sides and bottom. The other challenge is I don't have any welding experience and so as far as metal working I can cut it with a grinder and drill it and bolt it so I want the frame to be primarily wood. As with any project I want to be as economical as possible but want to make sure it is extremely sturdy.

So far from watching videos, reading webpages, and talking to people I have a general idea on what I need to do but would like more advice. Below I will describe two different builds I was considering and want them picked apart as best anyone can.

construction type 1:
This is the pond build done by the King of DIY. It works but I am not sure how to do it with a viewing window or if it is possible.

Construction type 2: My plan was to use 4x4 lumber and lay it on the floor length wise and stack the lumber up drilling a hole with a drill press through each 4x4 every 2 feet and at each end. I would then run an all thread rod and counter sink the hole on top and bottom and secure them with a nut and washer. To secure the corners I was thinking of using 2 inch angle iron with 3 inch lag screws with 2 screws per board. I would also stager the end so every other board was from a different panel and run an all tread through that as well. I know that this method is probably overkill so please save me some time and money by simplifying it.

Construction type 3: I am all ears for ideas!

As far as to waterproof it I plan on using a 45mm pond liner with an underlayment of some sort.

for filtration I plan to use a large canister filter like the FX6 and a large sump like a 90 gallon tank.

The wall I plan to put it against is a 13 foot wall and ill have 2.5 feet on either side for filtration that I will frame in to hide it from view.

I don't mind top bracing but I would want it to function as utility as well as structural integrity. By utility I mean I would like it used to hold lids in place and be a structure to mount lights(possibly).

For lighting I would like to have recessed lighting in the celling above it or hanging lights that are on a cable hanging from the ceiling.

Any and all input is welcome even if you want to call me crazy for putting a pond in the basement. but lets keep it construction related because I already have a thread about my fish room plan. you can read about it in this thread. Fish Room Design/ Planning (need Input)

Attachments

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Never built one but i seen a video a while back that had a raised outside pond with a viewing window. Not sure if you seen that video but its worth a search.

BettaDollar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't build it outside & try to fit it thru your basement door.
I admire your ambition and hope you can do it. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the completed project.
Gonna be awesome to watch your rays!

Zach B.

Valued Member
Reaction score
I just saw an awesome idea I could run bracing on the bottom under the liner. Do you think this would be helpful at all even if I notched out the 2x4 out of the 4x4 and secured it similar to a half lap joint.

I am leaning towards running the 4x4's with staggered corners and a 3/8 in x 5 inch lag screws counter sunk every 2 feet in place of all threads and 2 in the corners. Once the frame is built run angle iron with lags up the corners for extra strength as the corners are the weak point. The front window will be 3/4in tempered glass that overlaps 4.5 inches on all sides. The trick will be getting a 7 foot by 42 inch piece of glass through a door at the bottom of the stairs. I will test it with a piece of plywood first before construction in case I need to go 6 foot by 42 inches that is still a large viewing window. With the inside dimensions not counting the sump it will be about 800 gallons.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom