Construction begins tomorrow!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by harpua2002, Mar 16, 2010.

1. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Our contractor came back out yesterday to take a look at our garage for the fishroom conversion. Turns out his other job isn't going to take as long as he thought- he is planning on starting here tomorrow! He expects the work to take about 4 days, so we should be setting up tanks by next week!

The plan is to get rid of the garage door and frame in a wall where it used to be. He's adding a window and a set of french doors with the full-length panes of glass. That side of the house doesn't get a ton of sunlight so it won't be overwhelming, just nice natural light. He's running a vent into the fishroom from the HVAC unit, fixing some ugly spots on the ceiling, and installing some new fluorescent light fixtures. Cracks in the garage floor will be repaired and epoxied, and the whole thing gets sealed- he's even putting sand into the sealer to make it slip-resistant! There will be lots of new GFCI outlets added. He's putting in a utility sink and an extra faucet for Python use only- both will have hot and cold water. He's also painting for us. We have a spare fridge for our frozen foods, and we need to get some blackworms as well (to get our apisto pairs in the mood)!

I've never been so excited! We're picking up some used 10 gallon tanks sometime this week, since our first two racks should hold about 30 total tanks (5.5 and 10 gallon). When we really get the ball rolling, we have 10x 20 gallon high and 6x 40 breeder tanks that are all drilled, waiting for a SW system, plus a 100 gallon frag tank. But for now, we are starting with FW. We're looking to breed fish and propagate plants to sell, as well as purchasing fish from wholesalers to sell. We've submitted the paperwork to start a LLC and we'll be known as Forsyth Aquatics, LLC! :;toast

Anyway, thanks for reading my long winded post, I just had to share with all my FL friends. Hubby and I have been planning this for a long time, but we've kept it on the DL until all the details were worked out. Watch for a photo journal- I will be sure to get pics of the conversion! ;D

2. LyndaB

LyndaBFishlore LegendMember

Oh, how exciting for you!!! Hope all goes well. :)

3. Morgan111

Morgan111Well Known MemberMember

GREAT NEWS cant wait to see the pictures.... gonna be fun, I'd have to put a tv out there as I'd end up spending most of my time in the fish room lol

4. gunner13Well Known MemberMember

I,m happy for you, good luck with your venture.
    Nick

5. OP
    OP
    harpua2002

Thanks everyone! There's a lot to be done in there before tomorrow, but I've never been so happy to clean a garage, lol.

6. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Sounds great! Keep us posted!
    Carol

7. lorabellWell Known MemberMember

Yeah!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!! Cant wait to see it all done!!!!!!!

8. Red1313

Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

WooHoo! that's awesome!

9. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

I just saw this thread! That is fabulous! Can't wait for pics.

10. OP
    OP
    harpua2002

Woot!

Garage cleaning is going really well. We'll definitely have it all cleared out by the end of the day. There are some tanks and stuff that will stay in there through most of the construction, and we'll be covering them with a tarp. We definitely don't want to move the 90 gallon we just got! LOL

11. ldbrown3138

ldbrown3138Valued MemberMember

Put in a whole house filter for your fish room, put in a carbon block filter cartridge and no more chlorine, ammonia worries. I've used one for years, it's great being able to do mass water changes w/o worry about chlorine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice