Constipation? Bloat? I Know This Is Asked A Lot...

Leanne85

hello! I am new to this forum and I have done quite a bit of research to try to save my guppy! He has been bloated for nearly 5 days now and nothing I have tried is helping. Water parameters are normal, and I took a sample to be tested at the pet store to ensure my test strips were accurate. Here are some of the observations I have made...
-this is a male guppy
-swollen abdomen 5-6 days
-resting at the bottom most of the time
-his two tank mates tend to “pick at him” at the bottom at times
-won’t eat
-losing color
-NOT pineconing (I had a guppy die a month ago from dropsy and he got bloated and pine coned within 3 days). This has been longer and he’s not as bloated and no pine coning of scales

What I’ve done:
-isolated him and ensured he fasted for 24 hours (although I haven’t seen him eat in a couple days). I also isolated him to check if he was pooping but nothing over night
-tried feeding frozen peas (boiled and deshelled) but he wouldn’t touch them
-Epsom salt dip (I mixed 1tbsp Epsom salt into a gallon of his tank water, placed him in the salt bath for 15 mins). I have done this twice with no results

I am not an expert by any means! This could still be dropsy with a slower progression? Or he is severely constipated? I thought maybe he was actually a SHE but all the ‘markers’ point to him being a male.

Any thoughts/suggestions on what else I can do? No local stores sell maracyn 2 and I can’t find it on amazon either (I am in Canada).

maggie thecat

If it's not constipation you might try a course of wormer.

Leanne85

maggie thecat said:
If it's not constipation you might try a course of wormer.
Thank you, are there specific brands you recommend?

maggie thecat

You could try API General Cure. It's a broad spectrum medication that's useful when you don't quite have a fix on the problem.

TexasGuppy

Daphnia food is supposed to help constipation as well. My fish eat it fairly readily.

Leanne85

TexasGuppy said:
Daphnia food is supposed to help constipation as well. My fish eat it fairly readily.
Unfortunately I haven’t been able to find that locally either

maggie thecat said:
You could try API General Cure. It's a broad spectrum medication that's useful when you don't quite have a fix on the problem.
Thank you I’ll try to find it here

maggie thecat

Leanne85 said:
Thank you I’ll try to find it here
Amazon is your friend if your lfs lets you down.

Just checked (didn't notice you were in Canada). Paraguard and Prazipro are both available to you where General Cure is not. Either may be helpful to you.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom