Constipation? Bloat? I Know This Is Asked A Lot...

Leanne85

Reaction score
hello! I am new to this forum and I have done quite a bit of research to try to save my guppy! He has been bloated for nearly 5 days now and nothing I have tried is helping. Water parameters are normal, and I took a sample to be tested at the pet store to ensure my test strips were accurate. Here are some of the observations I have made...
-this is a male guppy
-swollen abdomen 5-6 days
-resting at the bottom most of the time
-his two tank mates tend to “pick at him” at the bottom at times
-won’t eat
-losing color
-NOT pineconing (I had a guppy die a month ago from dropsy and he got bloated and pine coned within 3 days). This has been longer and he’s not as bloated and no pine coning of scales

What I’ve done:
-isolated him and ensured he fasted for 24 hours (although I haven’t seen him eat in a couple days). I also isolated him to check if he was pooping but nothing over night
-tried feeding frozen peas (boiled and deshelled) but he wouldn’t touch them
-Epsom salt dip (I mixed 1tbsp Epsom salt into a gallon of his tank water, placed him in the salt bath for 15 mins). I have done this twice with no results

I am not an expert by any means! This could still be dropsy with a slower progression? Or he is severely constipated? I thought maybe he was actually a SHE but all the ‘markers’ point to him being a male.

Any thoughts/suggestions on what else I can do? No local stores sell maracyn 2 and I can’t find it on amazon either (I am in Canada).

Attachments

Leanne85

Reaction score
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom