Constipated or pregnant white cloud minnow?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Sturty, Jan 8, 2013.

1. SturtyValued MemberMember

Ok so i have two white cloud minnows from a group of 7 that are bigger than the rest. Im happy with one as he is larger overall and is the alpha fish of the school, but the second is only larger in the belly area. She's getting bigger on a daily basis and im not sure if shes constipated or pregnant?
    Here is a video, shes too fast for photos

2. fishynoobWell Known MemberMember

Have you tried feeding shelled peas that usually help if it is constipation. I have no experience with WCMs so I can't help further but do keep us posted.

3. JuhasonNew MemberMember

I don't have experience with WCMs either, but from the looks of it she doesn't seem constipated. I have other fish that are egg layers (like tetras) and they always look like that when they are all full of eggs. If she were constipated she probably wouldn't act so vibrant and active like that. But you should still take fishynoob's advice and feed her a pea and see what happens. Just to be safe. Make sure the pea is taken out of the shell!

4. AnthonyC4CWell Known MemberMember

I'll just go with constipated lol just so we have both options covered...

5. SturtyValued MemberMember

I'll give them a shelled pea later today and see how she goes.

Odd question but what would cause constipation in a fish?

6. AnthonyC4CWell Known MemberMember

well thats simple silly... you just get backed up....

7. SturtyValued MemberMember

Haha i know, but is there certain foods or brands of food that should be avoided?
    Ive noticed my minnows eat the cucumber that i put in for the snails and i feed them tetra branded tropical flakes

8. AnthonyC4CWell Known MemberMember

Everything seems fine unless your little fishy bit off more than it could chew on the cucumber...and apparently turning itself into a little fatty

9. BorngeminiValued MemberMember

This is irrelevant but maybe helpful to you, if you use photo bucket you can get an app for it and when there uploaded click on a little I on the bottom
    Right hand, it will give you links and there's one with an image link so when you paste it the photo shows up in your chat box when posted .. It's handy as the link won't work on my phone :)

10. AnthonyC4CWell Known MemberMember

Very relevant... good to know, I don't even remember the last time I used photo bucket lol

11. BorngeminiValued MemberMember

It's what I do because I don't have a pc it got stolen, so iPhone all the way and photo bucket is brilliant for this site

12. SturtyValued MemberMember

That is a photobucket link to a video
    I tried using the img code to embed it but it wouldnt appear when posted so i used the direct link

13. SturtyValued MemberMember

My little fatty is back to normal :) seems the pea worked perfect
    Thanks guys

14. AnthonyC4CWell Known MemberMember

Awesome to hear O0

15. fishlover123456New MemberMember

i say constipated and fish get constipated by over feeding