Constipated Betta Question

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by almrds, Apr 24, 2018.

1. almrdsValued MemberMember

This seems to be a common topic on here, but I wanted to ask what to do AFTER you’ve fed a pea and it doesn’t work?

My betta has become extremely bloated. So I fasted him for 2 days (hope that was long enough). And just fed him a couple bites of pea. I’m worried it’s not going to help. If it doesn’t, what’s the next step? More fasting? More peas?

Here’s a pic of his poor belly :(

Image1524614426.583882.jpg

2. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

How did you feed the pea? It must be boiled, de-shelled, and mashed very well.
    If that doesn't work, then fast him, and do daily Epsom salt baths twice a day, that'll release the bloat.

It's worked for every single bloated fish I have had.

3. almrdsValued MemberMember

Thank you for the quick response! I defrosted a frozen pea, soaked it in hot water, de-shelled, mashed it up, and dropped a few bite sized pieces in there that he ate right up. Does the pea HAVE to be boiled? That part I didn’t do :(

For the Epsom salt baths - could you tell me how you do those please?

4. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Boiling just makes it softer to eat, I usually put mine in some water and microwave it, works faster.

You'll want to do 1TBSP per gallon, and leave the fish in the container for at least 10 minutes, just keep a good eye on it.

5. almrdsValued MemberMember

Ok so I don’t put the salt in the tank he lives in? It’s a 5.5 gallon w/heater and filter. I have a 2 gallon fish bowl. Should I use that instead and put him in there for 10 minutes then put him back in his tank?

6. almrdsValued MemberMember

So the pea doesn’t appear to have worked. Today is day 3 without food. Should I give him another bite of pea?

Also, could someone please explain how they do the Epsom salt baths? I’m assuming it’s done in a separate container. How long should I try peas before doing the salt? Should I feed him at all? I hate starving him!!

7. WhatsUpGuysValued MemberMember

Don’t feed him at all, bettas can go weeks without food so a few days won’t hurt him. To do epsom salt baths, take some aquarium water out into a separate container and measure in the correct amount of salt (you can google it, there’s lots of sources. It’ll have all the instructions you need)

8. almrdsValued MemberMember

Thank you! He hasn’t had his normal pellets in a week now. He’s had 2 days of peas that didn’t work, and I tried daphnia and he wouldn’t eat it. I’ve also done 2 Epsom salt baths. Those haven’t worked either. I really don’t know what to do at this point :(

9. WhatsUpGuysValued MemberMember

Ok, does he look any better? If not, it’s time to start looking at other possibilities. (This is a bit gross) How are is poops? Is he pooping at all? Do they look normal?

10. almrdsValued MemberMember

He looks exactly the same :( maybe a little worse. I can’t tell. But the bloating definitely hasn’t gone down any. And I haven’t seen any poops at all. I rarely saw him go before all this, but sometimes I would see one every now and then

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice