Constipated Betta?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaprica

Reaction score
Hi! I have a female betta fish, aged approximately 1.5-2 years old, and as of about a month ago I noticed her stomach becoming bloated and silvery white. I'm pretty sure these are signs of constipation, and I've tried feeding her the insides of a cooked pea, fasting, freeze dried daphnia (I heard that won't work as well however, it could also cause constipation? I don't have many other opportunities to get live daphnia though :/). I'm really getting worried now, as she seems to just keep growing and seems to be about ready to pop. Advice would be greatly appreciated! I don't think this is dropsy, but I'll post a few pictures to see if you guys see something I don't. Thanks again!

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Have you tried fasting her for a day or two?

Edit: Oops, read to fast and I see that you've tried that. Perhaps fasting then a pea?

OP
Kaprica

Kaprica

Reaction score
Here's the photos!

Have you tried fasting her for a day or two?

Edit: Oops, read to fast and I see that you've tried that. Perhaps fasting then a pea?
Thanks for the quick reply! I did try the pea trick but to be honest she didn't seem too interested in it. She's been pretty picky about her food for the most part lately, but I could try it again

Attachments

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not that I like starving fish, but I've gone up to 6 days when we've been away from home. I'd suggest fasting her for 2 or 3, then offering the pea.

Are you keeping the tank extra clean and offering her quality food otherwise?

Wish I could be more help... grasping at straws here. Wishing you luck!

OP
Kaprica

Kaprica

Reaction score
Not that I like starving fish, but I've gone up to 6 days when we've been away from home. I'd suggest fasting her for 2 or 3, then offering the pea.

Are you keeping the tank extra clean and offering her quality food otherwise?

Wish I could be more help... grasping at straws here. Wishing you luck!
Thanks so much for the advice, I'll try that. I've just been doing the usual 25% water changes since I didn't want to agitate her too much when she's already not feeling her best, and when she'll go for it I try feeding her the daphnia. I'll try a 3 day fast and then a pea then. Fingers crossed!

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I hope it helps! If water changes don't agitate her too much, pristine water can only help. Perhaps you could do 25% twice a week? I just feel that water changes are always our first line of defense when something's wrong. It may be that nitrates aren't very high, but it doesn't hurt to keep them very low while she's feeling bad.

Does she have somewhere near the surface where she can rest?

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I fear that as well but don't know how to be sure. Hoping some tlc will help.

Edit: Well we know that dropsy is a symptom of something else, but without further information, I've been reluctant to call this dropsy. Since the OP didn't mention symptoms of an infection or anything viral, I was hoping we could count dropsy out for now. However, I just learned that dropsy may present in aging bettas because of liver failure, so perhaps there were no other symptoms to notice if this is the case. Dropsy is often fatal, but the best chance is to treat early with kanamycin. I would get Seachem's Kanaplex to have on hand and use it at the first sign of pineconing.

Last edited:
OP
Kaprica

Kaprica

Reaction score
Just wanted to thank you guys again for your help, unfortunately my betta passed a few days ago. I'm still not sure what was wrong with her (she wasn't pineconing, 3 gallon tank, no tankmates- that reply's pretty late but I figured I'd add it in in case this happens again in the future) but a decent amount of blood came out of her when I was removing her from the tank so maybe that had something to do with it? Or maybe it was just all the fluids exiting the body. Either way I appreciate your help, having things I could try made it easier than just watching her get worse. Thank you guys for your time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Weekly

Votes: 42 64.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 12 18.5%

Top Bottom