Constipated Betta - Not Getting Better :(

1. Lindsey Stallings Member Member

Hi guys!

I came home from our honeymoon on the 9th to find my betta sick. I'm pretty sure my friend who was staying here just overfed him but he is EXTREMELY bloated. I thought he had dropsy because he was so bloated.

I've since given him an epsom salt bath, fasted him for 4 days, tried feeding him a pea (he wouldn't eat it) and I've fed him daphnia a few times. He looks no better than when I came home. Is this normal?

The tank parameters are:
    pH: 7.6
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrites: 0
    Nitrates: 40 - 80 (from overfeeding I assume, I've been changing the water every other day to get the nitrates down - it was at 10 before I left :()

It's a 10 gallon tank, heated and filtered. He shares the tank with 7 emerald eye rasboras who seem to be fine.

I have him in a breeder box to keep him away from the rasboras food.

Any tips? Will he be okay?

ETA: Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/3nHWX

2. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

don't feed him for 5 days then try a pea. worked for me.

picture I couldn't tell if its Dropsy or not

3. KyleMarie Member Member

Is he pineconing? That's a good way to tell if he has Dropsy.

4. Lindsey Stallings Member Member

He won't eat the pea.

And he's not pineconing as far as I can tell.

5. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Did you try mushing up the insides of the pea into little bits and then dropping them in the filter outflow? The movement might trigger his hunting instinct;)

6. Lindsey Stallings Member Member

I'm unsure why I should keep trying the pea if he isn't eating it but he's eating daphnia? Doesn't that work just as well/better?

7. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

If he's eating well then are you sure he's constipated? Have you tried keeping him in a bare-bottom tank for a couple of days to see if he poops?

8. Lindsey Stallings Member Member

It's my only guess since he isn't pineconing and is still swimming around fine. I tried putting him in a quarantine tank but it wasn't cycling right so I moved him into the breeder box in my 10g. I haven't seen him poop over any of that time. He was in the quarantine tank for 4 days, I think.

9. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Can you do daily water changes on his tank?

10. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

My betta is starting to look like this! I gave him a deshelled pea. He win touch it. He will only eat dried blood worms, i keep trying different flakes and pellets but he refuses.

Hope you get it figured out, your betta looks about 2 times rounder than mine. I just noticed mine today when I tried feeding live brine shrimp. He refused those too.

Also I have never seen him poop and we have had him for a month already.

11. Lindsey Stallings Member Member

I could do water changes and I was doing daily water changes, but the ammonia was getting really high and I worried it was just unsafe regardless.

12. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

You could also put the mushed up pea in garlic water (garlic soaked in water) or garlic guard. It will help make it more appetizing.

Does your tap have ammonia in it? If not then changing the water daily won't make the ammonia higher, it will help keep it low and/or at zero.

13. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

The daphnia should have the same effect as the pea, so I would just keep doing what you're doing.

14. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

If the ammonia is really high then you need to do water changes! If there's ammonia in your tap water though then you may need to get another source.

15. Lindsey Stallings Member Member

No... I'm saying that the quarantine tank's ammonia was too high. I moved him out of that tank because even with daily water changes, it was getting too high. So now he is back in the perfectly cycled 10 gallon tank. There is no ammonia in the water source.

Thanks, jdhef! I'll just keep trying with the daphnia.