Constipated And More.

jojo_47

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’ve noticed my betta fish is constipated. I’m currently going to fast him for maybe a day or two. And I’ve recently noticed he has this spot on side that sticks out and looks like he kinda bulging out from his side. Can anyone help me and try to figure out what this is? Thank you.

Attachments

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello. Have you any frozen peas? You can run one under water then take the hull off. You may need to cut the pea depending on its size. Peas will help with constipation. Daphnia will as well. But we need some eyes on your finbaby. @Skye_marilyn could you look at this little betta for us? Please?

Skye_marilyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
jojo_47 said:
It’s the part where is shows a bit of a lighter color than his scales.
I’m not seeing much of a bulge or constipation, what are you currently feeding and if it is dry do you soak it first? Btw the bump you are speaking of is called a penduncle bump and is completely normal. It is the protrusion of the swim bladder organ with commonly shows as a bump on long finned bettas, most pet grade bettas have this.

jojo_47

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It’s not so much that he’s looks constipated it just that he hasn’t pooped in some time. I’ve tried feeding him the betta pellets but he doesn’t seem to like them. So I’ve been giving him the flakes. And every so often I give him a freeze fired blood worm.

Skye_marilyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
jojo_47 said:
It’s not so much that he’s looks constipated it just that he hasn’t pooped in some time. I’ve tried feeding him the betta pellets but he doesn’t seem to like them. So I’ve been giving him the flakes. And every so often I give him a freeze fired blood worm.
Do you feed the pellets and freeze dried food dry? Or do you soak it first?

jojo_47

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just give him the food. I’ve never tried soaking the pellets.

Skye_marilyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
jojo_47 said:
I just give him the food. I’ve never tried soaking the pellets.
Well that is your answer right there, most dry food doubles in size once exposed to water so you’re little buddy has been eating the pellets dry then they have been swelling in his belly making him constipated. Start by soaking all food for 5 minutes before feeding, until you get some frozen foods to aid in proper digestion. Also try to feed a deshelled pea as the person above mentioned. Once he starts to poop normally, try to avoid foods that lack fiber, stick to mostly frozen food and consider purchasing some clay Neighbor’s paradigm carnivore crumble which is high in fiber and probably the best dry food available.

Try your best not to allow your fish to swallow air as they aren’t capable of “farting” and the air will just cause buoyancy issues as well as allow for bacterial infection to set in. Make sure all food you feed is not only soaked but also sinks before feeding.

jojo_47

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I tried soaking the pellets. He doesn’t seem interested. I have him flakes instead. I think I’ll go and buy the option you gave me. Thank you so much!

jojo_47

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey, little update (SUPER late) thank you guys so much for the help. His constipation went away after giving him peas. He still won’t eat the pellets but he is now pooping regularly so yay!

Skye_marilyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
jojo_47 said:
Hey, little update (SUPER late) thank you guys so much for the help. His constipation went away after giving him peas. He still won’t eat the pellets but he is now pooping regularly so yay!
That is so good to hear! Hope he continues to be happy and healthy

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom