Constantly having to flip over nerite snail

Status
Not open for further replies.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have 3 nerite snails and there is always ONE snail that's been flipping over after falling and not righting himself. First time it happened, I watched to see if he would flip back over. After about 5-6 hours, he was still not flipping over so I thought he was dead and picked him up to smell him but since there was no smell I put him back in the tank. He moved 30 min later so I was relieved.
Next day, same thing happened with the same snail. Flipped over, I flipped him back. I have no idea what's up w/ this one snail. lol It's like having a baby that can't walk and I have to watch for him in the tank every day to make sure he's ok.
It's happened 3 straight days.. is this one toying w/ me??

Does this happen w/ anyone else that have nerites?

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They do seem to have a hard time flipping themselves back over. The mystery snails seem to find it easier. If I find one Then I flip it back, I have 4 , But on the other hand I don't watch the tanks 24/7 so I figure they must be righting themselves when I am not watching. Alison

homer813

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mine did the same thing a few months ago. I never thought to sniff them, and just assumed they were dead. Oops.

OP
el337

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ok, glad to know I'm not the only one!

And I also have to add that I must have chosen the laziest nerites ever. I don't see that my decor or plants are any free of algae. They hardly move and if they do, they just stay in one or two spots! Same one that I flipped over this morning is in the same spot on the sand. And another one has been sticking itself to the side of the tank by the water line for days!

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mine slowly cruise around the tank, They all love zuchinni squash after it has been in the tank after 24 hour. I put it in raw for my plecos but the nerites and mystery snails like it softer. Alison

homer813

Reaction score
Experience
Just started

And I also have to add that I must have chosen the laziest nerites ever. I don't see that my decor or plants are any free of algae. They hardly move and if they do, they just stay in one or two spots! Same one that I flipped over this morning is in the same spot on the sand. And another one has been sticking itself to the side of the tank by the water line for days!
Have you tried Malaysian Trumpet Snails? They do a good job for me. People complain about them being pests, but I honestly wish I had more of them.

Mine slowly cruise around the tank, They all love zuchinni squash after it has been in the tank after 24 hour. I put it in raw for my plecos but the nerites and mystery snails like it softer. Alison
Mine do too, but if I leave them in for that long, I really need to replace my filters early. I love giving them fresh veggies, but so far the cucumbers and zuchinni really get the water dirty. Mine aren't to the point where they eat it as soon as I put it in yet.

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could try microwaving it just till it's softened, cool completely then put it in for the snails and remove in a few hours. My male ABN pleco, Lucky, loves to peel his zucchini first and eat the skin, then the next day he and the snail feast on the insides. I use good size chunks for the plecos. Any softened bits I take out with the turkey baster. I have three tanks each with it's own pleco and snail and one has 2 nerites and one mystery snail. each tank also has a few ghost shrimp. Alison

homer813

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dumb question, has anyone tried chopping them down to bite size pieces? Not sure if they fish would appreciate the culinary skills involved.

matsungit

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nerites have a nocturnal tendency. It is my suspicion that they right themselves only at night to avoid predators. I have many puffers and many nerites that have been living in my tank for awhile now. I have not lost a single nerite to a puffer attack or otherwise. They seem to be able to coexist quite well and the puffers have learned it's not that easy to eat a nerite. I have 12 nerites (2 in the sump), 3 figure eights, and 4 SAPs.

OP
el337

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If they flip over, you will need to turn them back up as they will die if left upside down too long.
Mine do this occasionally.
Exactly. What happens when I'm not home for days?!

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years

Should've gotten apleco instead! I hardly see it but now my snowball but my glass seems clean so they must be doing something.

homer813

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No I haven't but don't they spend most of their time in the sand and not on the decor or tanks walls?
They're nocturnal. They bury themselves during the day and come out at night when the lights are out. They climb all over eating up any leftover food and algae in the tank.

OP
el337

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Should've gotten apleco instead! I hardly see it but now my snowball but my glass seems clean so they must be doing something.
Lol we'll see. I'm going to give them some time.

They're nocturnal. They bury themselves during the day and come out at night when the lights are out. They climb all over eating up any leftover food and algae in the tank.
Yeah I'm afraid I may get overrun with them tho. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
el337

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
They'll only reproduce as much as your tank has the capacity for them. Essentially, if you overfeed, you'll get a lot of them. If you find yourself overrun with them, stop feeding so much and get an assassin snail or something that feeds on them.
I think I'm good with snails. I'm also a proud new owner of a mystery snail thanks to Bijou88.

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My nerites and mysteries seem to do a decent job of keeping the diatoms at bay on the plants and glass, my filters are another story :/

I always flip my snails over if I see them on their backs, they'll probably be ok for a couple days but any more than that and I'd worry. Btw, your new mystery snail may need flipped if he falls off of something too, when they're little like that they don't seem to right themselves as well as adults.

How's your little one settling in?

OP
el337

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My nerites and mysteries seem to do a decent job of keeping the diatoms at bay on the plants and glass, my filters are another story :/

I always flip my snails over if I see them on their backs, they'll probably be ok for a couple days but any more than that and I'd worry. Btw, your new mystery snail may need flipped if he falls off of something too, when they're little like that they don't seem to right themselves as well as adults.

How's your little one settling in?
It's definitely not shy about exploring its new home! For a snail, it moves fast!! Faster than my nerites anyway lol. I saw it just 30 min ago and now I can't find it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 4 25.0%

Top Bottom